Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my driving instructor ripping me off for test day?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    my driving instructor wants £85 to rent his car and on top of the £20 per hour for the test day. does this sound reasonable or am i getting treated as a cash cow?? my test is in 8 days. pls help

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're being ripped off to me. I had an hour lesson right before the test, so I paid for 2 hours (the hour lesson and an hour for using the car for the actual test and my instructor waiting for me at the test centre to drive me home again).

ReputationRep:
    I think mine was £40

ReputationRep:
    You're being ripped off. You should only have to pay for an hour (using their car) and maybe an hour before so you can have a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbojohn)
    my driving instructor wants £85 to rent his car and on top of the £20 per hour for the test day. does this sound reasonable or am i getting treated as a cash cow?? my test is in 8 days. pls help
    I did pay a similar price but I had 1-2hours of driving before the test

ReputationRep:
    Your instructor's got a bloody cheek.

You should only have to pay the standard lesson rate.

ReputationRep:
    Wow wth. Ive paid 30-40 quid including a lesson on the day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This thread should be in Learning to Drive - just tagging AngryJellyfish to get that moved for you.

Sounds like a rip-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Your instructor's got a bloody cheek.

You should only have to pay the standard lesson rate.
    I agree, if anything he should charge less for "hiring the car" as he's not actually going to be working during that hour, but sitting back and relaxing. Cheeky instructor indeed.

ReputationRep:
    this all equates to £85(hire)+£40 for 2 hour lesson before + £20 for test hour = 145
    and i wanna do at least 2 more hours so that equates to about £185+

i'm only 17 so he may see me as thick and get an extra bit in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbojohn)
    this all equates to £85(hire)+£40 for 2 hour lesson before + £20 for test hour = 145
    and i wanna do at least 2 more hours so that equates to about £85+

i'm only 17 so he may see me as thick and get an extra bit in
    You can drive your own car for the test, it doesn't have to be the examiners, so bare that in mind if you have been using a different car at home to practice.

ReputationRep:
    You can drive your own car for the test, it doesn't have to be the examiners, so bare that in mind if you have been using a different car at home to practice.

I use my instructors car. my brothers has a 2013 plate 1 series and is way to powerful for me. also my mum has a zafira which is way too big. i dont know anyone with a decent small engine car hence why i use my instructors

ReputationRep:
    I started using my own car because my instructor was costing me £80 to do the test in his car to cover stuff like 'insurance' which doesnt even exist !! (i called and checked)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie1999)
    I started using my own car because my instructor was costing me £80 to do the test in his car to cover stuff like 'insurance' which doesnt even exist !! (i called and checked)
    Well, you do need insurance to drive a car..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.