Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to become a Care Coordinator for older people Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I am seeking an apprenticeship which can give help me to become a care coordinator for older people. I have completed my Access to Nursing course but could not go into nursing as I have back problems and unable to be on my feet for 12 hours a day. I was wondering if I could do another Access course, Access to Social Care but I already have EDI Level 2 and OU Level 1 60 credits in Health and Social Care so really do not want to do this again especially if there may be an overlap in modules. Does anyone have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    What about a BTEC HND? [ Higher National Diploma] in Health and Social Care? Or the one in Leadership and Management? [ Although I think it might be for people who are already employed in that area].

ReputationRep:
    Or if your present qualifications are not at Level 4 or 5, then a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. It is worth 3 A levels.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Care work is one of those jobs that's fairly open access, most places seems happy to employ people based on minimal qualifications, then train up new starters.

Coordinator roles tend to be given on experience and merit rather than through qualifications alone, they usually like field experience first.

Your best bet is probably to go in at entry level and work your way up.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your responses. Unfortunately I only have Level 1 and 2 Health and Social Care qualifications which are not BTEC or NVQ but will try and go the route of care worker or apprenticeship.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.