Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling extremely lonely in London, any advice? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    This will probably sound very embarrassing, but I've been living in London for nearly 5 years (on and off) and I'm still struggling with loneliness which has affected my mental health to quite a large extent. I moved to London by myself when I was 18 to study at university and despite being madly in love with the city, I still had an awful time dealing with loneliness which led to isolation, anxiety and depression. I'm now at my first full-time job post-graduation, working the 9-til-5 and finding it even more difficult to meet people. I don't have any family or close friends in London and apart from a couple of acquaintances from university that I still keep in touch with occasionally and my bosses at work who I'm friendly with (but don't hang out with) I'm living a bit of a hermit life. It's just really depressing. I'm young, friendly and outgoing, so very keen to meet new people, and although I'm not into the clubbing scene, I'm up for going out and having fun. It was my choice to move to London and I don't regret it so it's not because of homesickness or missing my parents or anything like that. I just feel incredibly lonely, and I think I'm starting to suffer from depression again. I feel like I can't get close to anyone or make a genuine, lasting connection. I don't really have the time/money for hobbies, and I don't really feel safe going out in my area after dark which doesn't help. I've done the whole exploring alone thing, but it's just made me sadder that I'm by myself. I've also signed up for meetups and facebook groups in London but I don't have the courage to go to any event/meeting by myself. The only interactions with people I get are at work and from shopkeepers, doctors or hairdressers.
    So anyone who's been in the same situation, or Londoners in general, do you have any advice?
    Thank you.
    R.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rri14)
    Hi everyone,
    This will probably sound very embarrassing, but I've been living in London for nearly 5 years (on and off) and I'm still struggling with loneliness which has affected my mental health to quite a large extent. I moved to London by myself when I was 18 to study at university and despite being madly in love with the city, I still had an awful time dealing with loneliness which led to isolation, anxiety and depression. I'm now at my first full-time job post-graduation, working the 9-til-5 and finding it even more difficult to meet people. I don't have any family or close friends in London and apart from a couple of acquaintances from university that I still keep in touch with occasionally and my bosses at work who I'm friendly with (but don't hang out with) I'm living a bit of a hermit life. It's just really depressing. I'm young, friendly and outgoing, so very keen to meet new people, and although I'm not into the clubbing scene, I'm up for going out and having fun. It was my choice to move to London and I don't regret it so it's not because of homesickness or missing my parents or anything like that. I just feel incredibly lonely, and I think I'm starting to suffer from depression again. I feel like I can't get close to anyone or make a genuine, lasting connection. I don't really have the time/money for hobbies, and I don't really feel safe going out in my area after dark which doesn't help. I've done the whole exploring alone thing, but it's just made me sadder that I'm by myself. I've also signed up for meetups and facebook groups in London but I don't have the courage to go to any event/meeting by myself. The only interactions with people I get are at work and from shopkeepers, doctors or hairdressers.
    So anyone who's been in the same situation, or Londoners in general, do you have any advice?
    Thank you.
    R.
    Not too much advice in general, except to say that unless you're in a crazy job (and you say 9 to 5, so I assume not) you definitely do have time for hobbies. If you think that people manage to work full-time, spend time with family and still make some time for friends. Money is a different thing.

(Original post by rri14)
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you.
    R.
    You on a grad scheme? What about colleagues your age? You say you went to a London uni- surely there must be some of your uni friends working in London too? Bite the bullet and turn up to a meetup alone. Ask yourself what's the worst that could happen? The meetups are there for a reason; people are in the same boat as you.

ReputationRep:
    Is there some sort of hobby you could take up that interests you? Something where you do it with other people, but doesn't cost too much money? Do you like dancing? Pineapple on Langley Street in Covent Garden have drop in, pay as you go classes ranging from beginners to professionals in everything from Classical Ballet,Tap to Salsa. They are not expensive. Or maybe you are interested in Astronomy? You could find out where your nearest group is and tag along. It wouldn't be long before you made friends. Or a film or book club of some sort. Do you read Time Out? There would be lots of activities and events listed weekly in there, catering for different tastes. I think it would be far easier making friends and getting the opportunity to chat to people at an interest group like one of these than in a bar or a club. Good luck.

OP try meetup.com I live in Edinburgh and there is loads of meetups and London will be even better srsly there is a meet up for like every interest there

ReputationRep:
    That's London for you.

ReputationRep:
    Go gym, make friends( and some GAINZ) then ur life's sorted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.