The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

LPC Part time - Work Full time , YOUR VALUABLE opinions highly appreciated!

Hey Everyone, hope you are all enjoying your summers... I need your valuable opinion please!

So, long story short, I graduated last year, obtained 'the 2.1' and was able to find a job (luckily) at a repubtale law firm, 2 months back (having only been at the firm for less than a year) i was promoted (and have been in that position for just under 2 months) NOW, I am so KEEN to start my LPC in September, I'm just really concerned about not being able to manage full time work and LPC, I am the kind who needs ALOT of time to study and to prevent me panicking...

My firm does offer TC's and theres a high chance I might be able to obtain one... I REALLY dont want to leave my current position and I am also keen to do my LPC (in fact taking this year without studies) actually confirmed so... now,

Has anyone done this? worked full time and studied part time? how did you manage? organise your time? is the LPC harder than the LLB?

SORRY for the rant... thanks!
I don't know how the GDL and LPC compare, but all I can help with is that working full-time at the same time as the GDL has been really really tricky. And I wasn't particularly fussed about looking good at work (non-legal career) so wasn't pulling long hours or anything - although was fairly senior so there might have been more pressure. It's hard to get home and concentrate more - but maybe I was just weak!

Don't take it lightly! A part time LPC might be a safer bet over two years, if that's possible?
BPP University
BPP University
Reply 2
Hello! :smile:

I'm thinking about doing the same thing as you but haven't got a job offer yet as I am just finishing my masters. I asked BPP law school and they said that I would be expected to do 15 hours of work each week (I'm assuming that's not including the full day on Saturday every 2-3 weeks). So that's either 3 hrs after work each day during the week or 6 hrs on Saturdays and Sundays (except the Saturday of Seminars).

It seems like it is doable. Obviously, it will be hard for the first month but after that it will turn into a routine (I'm hoping). Though, I'm saying this without ever having a PT job (even though I did lots of volunteering and other projects).

I think the thing to focus on is that at the end of the 2 years, not only will you have the LPC you will also have tons of experience and the firm will KNOW that you are committed, making it easier for you to secure the TC and move up within your firm.

I have friends who have done the LPC and say it is harder and friends who say it is not harder but just more work. So I'm expecting it to be as hard as the LLB as part time shouldn't be more work..
Reply 3
Hi!

8 months since the last post....wondering what did everyone decide? How is it going?
Currently considering full-time work and part-time LPC. The two friends that I've ask (who are doing this) say that it's brutal.

Quick Reply

Latest