Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni and did a maths course but failed first year in 2014. Got a b in maths, a b in further maths and c in economics at a level. I've taken some time out and worked since then. Is it possible for me to start a new course at another uni and will student finance cover my course fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stvn)
    I went to uni and did a maths course but failed first year in 2014. Got a b in maths, a b in further maths and c in economics at a level. I've taken some time out and worked since then. Is it possible for me to start a new course at another uni and will student finance cover my course fees?
    Firstly, you should have no concerns about reapplying! Student finance will provide you with a loan.

Make sure you disclose all previous education in your UCAS application, and include any extenuating circumstances (if you had any).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    Firstly, you should have no concerns about reapplying! Student finance will provide you with a loan.

Make sure you disclose all previous education in your UCAS application, and include any extenuating circumstances (if you had any).

**Perhaps OP's post could be moved to the student finance section for more information?
    Will I be able to apply to start in September 2017 or is it too late for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stvn)
    Will I be able to apply to start in September 2017 or is it too late for that?
    I think you can still get in but instead of choosing courses (now), you will be placed into clearing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is almost like me, 4 years ago. Don't take me as an omen

Anyway, there's no particular reason you can't - provided your application suggests to them you will be able to cope with the demands of the new course (which, going from maths to most other courses, provided you aren't riddled with depression and don't hate the course, is likely ). It's too late to apply through the usual process, but you can enter into clearing to start September 2017 without having made an application previously.

Clearing opens a little later next month I believe, and then you can see what courses are available and call/email around to universities about availability. If they indicate they would like you to apply then you'll need to register on UCAS and submit an application through clearing (you may be able to register and start filling in the application now, but I'm not an expert on UCAS unfort!).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Clearing opens a little later next month I believe, and then you can see what courses are available and call/email around to universities about availability. If they indicate they would like you to apply then you'll need to register on UCAS and submit an application through clearing (you may be able to register and start filling in the application now, but I'm not an expert on UCAS unfort!).
    It's already open and searchable, but more places will be added on or just before Results Day (17 Aug).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stvn)
    All the above is correct, you will get a loan and you could apply through clearing to start this September... however I'm going to inject a slight note of caution. Student Finance allows you one false start, but you will not be given a second chance - if you choose the wrong subject/university or have to repeat a year again, you won't receive funding. You need to be quite sure that whichever uni/degree you apply for is the one for you. No pressure.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stvn)
    And on top of Snufkin 's very apt caution - depending what subject you're interested in then you might be better off looking into studying modules with Open University. If you study 120 credits over 2 years then some universities will accept you straight into year 2, you'll have had a chance to build your confidence in the subject you're studying and that it's the right choice. And if you don't want to go into year 2 then the part time study wont count against your allowance for full time study.

It's probably a better idea than jumping in with both feet into a new course in 1-2 months time.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    All the above is correct, you will get a loan and you could apply through clearing to start this September... however I'm going to inject a slight note of caution. Student Finance allows you one false start, but you will not be given a second chance - if you choose the wrong subject/university or have to repeat a year again, you won't receive funding. You need to be quite sure that whichever uni/degree you apply for is the one for you. No pressure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.