Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History Essay Structure/ 4 dimensional? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was going back over my history year 12 mock trying to improve it and I realised that there wasn't nearly enough evaluation within it. The reason I've been struggling with this is because the question asked about the scope and success of Henry Vii reforms to government but this meant that the essay needs 4 strands- not significant in scope, significant in scope, not successful and successful all woven together to reach a conclusion on the statement. However this means that I'm struggling for essay structure, especially for 4d questions, because my usual structure is each aspect or factor, including both for and against with an evaluative sentence on the end. That system seems to be impossible for this style of essay. Does anyone have any better suggestions on structure?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by tegs*99)
    I was going back over my history year 12 mock trying to improve it and I realised that there wasn't nearly enough evaluation within it. The reason I've been struggling with this is because the question asked about the scope and success of Henry Vii reforms to government but this meant that the essay needs 4 strands- not significant in scope, significant in scope, not successful and successful all woven together to reach a conclusion on the statement. However this means that I'm struggling for essay structure, especially for 4d questions, because my usual structure is each aspect or factor, including both for and against with an evaluative sentence on the end. That system seems to be impossible for this style of essay. Does anyone have any better suggestions on structure?
    Is it really what you call four dimensional?

Scope i.e factual discussion of what he did, why and with what objective?

Assessment of success, some counter argument where it was less so and your overall conclusion? Part of that can be the too wide or too narrow a scope of reform?

Thats only 2 and at the most three parts. Just makes me laugh as I used to know the topic but havent a clue what reforms he did these days. Id have to read a book.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I study edexcel history AS but i score As in my essays and think i have a better structure. Could you post a full question and I will try .

ReputationRep:
    I'm on AQA, so I'm not sure how similar your questions are structured but the question I struggled with was "Henry VII reforms in government were limited both in scope and success" Assess the validity of this view

ReputationRep:
    I'm on AQA, so I'm not sure how similar your questions are structured but the question I struggled with was "Henry VII reforms in government were limited both in scope and success" Assess the validity of this view
    Hmmmmm

Intro- a sentance or maybe 2 on what his reforms were and then ways in which they were limited and were not. (But make your argument clear so try overall his reforms were limited... although in some cases...)

Okay for main body you could do 3 Paras on scope and success. Or like you said 2 paras on scope and 2 paras on success.

So 1 para would be
    1.) Reforms were limited because... For example... Therefore...+link back go Q after explaining For more evaluation you would write "Although this may not have been a significant limitation because..." LINK back to question

Conclusion try to use criteria to justify arguments and show your overall judgement

I hope this helped?? If it didnt tell me. This was just to get you thinking its mostly just practice. If you are really struggling with getti g more evaluation/analysis I can definitely help with that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's definitely helped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.