Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenTheBlue)
    If I was to resit maths and English, would this be possible or feasible alongside an access course? Obviously I may need to work 10 hours a week or so too in order to pay basic bills such as phone and to save for a car
    If you are confident with the material, then it's possible, but with working 10 hours a week too, you will be in danger of stretching yourself too thin. Bear in mind that your GCSE exams will take place just as the workload on the Access course is reaching fever pitch. If you get lower grades than you might have done without the GCSEs, it will be self-defeating.
    Taking this year to retake maths and English GCSEs, while working and maybe building up your savings, and doing Access the following year would probably be the most sensible route. If you are champing at the bit and want to get to university ASAP, then it might be worth considering just doing maths alongside Access. If this appeals, I would recommend getting started on GCSE work now. It's easy to self teach maths: start working through a textbook and use online resources like examsolutions.net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    If you are confident with the material, then it's possible, but with working 10 hours a week too, you will be in danger of stretching yourself too thin. Bear in mind that your GCSE exams will take place just as the workload on the Access course is reaching fever pitch. If you get lower grades than you might have done without the GCSEs, it will be self-defeating.
    Taking this year to retake maths and English GCSEs, while working and maybe building up your savings, and doing Access the following year would probably be the most sensible route. If you are champing at the bit and want to get to university ASAP, then it might be worth considering just doing maths alongside Access. If this appeals, I would recommend getting started on GCSE work now. It's easy to self teach maths: start working through a textbook and use online resources like examsolutions.net.
    I do honestly want to retake GCSE's - I can completely understand what others are saying that my C grades are sufficient to get into some universities. But to me, there's more to it than that. I want the option of applying for a couple of the better universities and also baring in mind when I do eventually come to applying for the doctorate course, I don't want to give the doctorate providers any excuse to put me on the 'no' pile where they also have a student who has better grades than me at that level currently. I want the best grade at university and this is only aided by a better provision of learning and also better facilities. If someone asked me - Ben, would you be willing to take a year out to retake your Maths and English in order to get into a better university, I'd bite their hand off. At the same time, whilst I'm chomping at the bit to get to university ASAP, I know full well the benefits of pacing myself - There are pros and cons to both but rushing things and squeezing everything into one year may not be the best idea. I do need to earn some money too so pacing myself might be my best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenTheBlue)
    I do honestly want to retake GCSE's - I can completely understand what others are saying that my C grades are sufficient to get into some universities. But to me, there's more to it than that. I want the option of applying for a couple of the better universities and also baring in mind when I do eventually come to applying for the doctorate course, I don't want to give the doctorate providers any excuse to put me on the 'no' pile where they also have a student who has better grades than me at that level currently. I want the best grade at university and this is only aided by a better provision of learning and also better facilities. If someone asked me - Ben, would you be willing to take a year out to retake your Maths and English in order to get into a better university, I'd bite their hand off. At the same time, whilst I'm chomping at the bit to get to university ASAP, I know full well the benefits of pacing myself - There are pros and cons to both but rushing things and squeezing everything into one year may not be the best idea. I do need to earn some money too so pacing myself might be my best bet.
    I think you're right not to rush it. Psychology requires a decent understanding of statistics, so getting a strong foundation in maths will be helpful. I know the university I went to required a grade B in GCSE maths for Psychology for that reason. Your written English seems good from what I've seen here, but proving that with a good GCSE result certainly won't hurt your application.
    As far as the doctorate is concerned, they are unlikely to care about your GCSEs. They will be much more interested in your undergraduate projects. When I applied for my PhD, I didn't even bother putting my grades for 'O' or 'A' levels on my CV (though admittedly, they were several decades old!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.