Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my first year of uni studying makeup in London and I'm unsure of whether i want to go back in september for second year. Just before I started first year I was suddenly really unsure of whether I still wanted to do my course, and at the same time I really wanted to change to an equine-related course; something which I haven't been involved in for 3 years now but really do miss. I eventually put this down to pre uni nerves and decided to just continue with the course. First term was fine and I was really enjoying the student life in London, second term got a little more difficult and I began to struggle a little with the work, as well as not having much motivation to complete essays etc, and third term was where I really wasn't having a good time. I began missing most of my lectures and sleeping in for most of the day, as well as having panic attacks and waking up during the night in the same panicked state. Now that I've finished the first year and gone home, I'm again unsure about my current course and I'm again considering an equine-related course. I've tried looking into leave of absence so that maybe i could take a year out to consider whether i want to go back to the course or not, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to me or if it would even apply to me, or if it would be better for me to just withdraw completely then decide what to do? And am I right in thinking student finance will finance you 4 years of HE study?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepsie)
    I've just finished my first year of uni studying makeup in London and I'm unsure of whether i want to go back in september for second year. Just before I started first year I was suddenly really unsure of whether I still wanted to do my course, and at the same time I really wanted to change to an equine-related course; something which I haven't been involved in for 3 years now but really do miss. I eventually put this down to pre uni nerves and decided to just continue with the course. First term was fine and I was really enjoying the student life in London, second term got a little more difficult and I began to struggle a little with the work, as well as not having much motivation to complete essays etc, and third term was where I really wasn't having a good time. I began missing most of my lectures and sleeping in for most of the day, as well as having panic attacks and waking up during the night in the same panicked state. Now that I've finished the first year and gone home, I'm again unsure about my current course and I'm again considering an equine-related course. I've tried looking into leave of absence so that maybe i could take a year out to consider whether i want to go back to the course or not, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to me or if it would even apply to me, or if it would be better for me to just withdraw completely then decide what to do? And am I right in thinking student finance will finance you 4 years of HE study?
    Student finance will cover the length of course plus one gift year. So if you were to start a new course that is 4 years long then that would be fully funded as you've only used your gift year on your current study.

I would definitely recommend taking a leave of absence for a year while you look into your other options.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepsie)
    Hey,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling at uni. It's such as stressful time, so many of us students go through problems with our mental health and wellbeing so just know that you aren't going through this alone!

I think it would be a good idea to take a year out, not only to explore your options and make a decision about whether you want to continue your studies or change courses, but also to look after your mental health, and possibly to do some fun, skill-building things like getting work experience, looking at internships or temporary jobs, and discovering your true passions/interests which will in turn help you to realise what you want to do after the year is over. It sounds like you've been unsure for a while, so you definitely need to take some time to find out about yourself and what you really want as well as researching how you can get to where you want to be, before you carry on studying something/somewhere that's making you feel pretty bad.

You'll figure it out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.