Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Up until recently I had been pretty convinced that I was going to do a degree in psychology as I was interested in psychology as a subject. But recently in school we were told how many people are graduating with a degree in psychology and how psych graduates aren't really in demand apparently. That being said is there anyone who has completed a psychology degree recently and has a job lined up. Is it potentially worth doing another degree that guarantees job security.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Do what you enjoy, and enjoy what you do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I have just finished my psychology degree. I have just been offered a place at Durham University for my MSc. I would strongly recommend doing a degree in psychology! There are so many transferable skills that you can gain and professions such as the police look for them. If you didn't want to train as a psychologist (which is actually in high demand at the moment), there are so many other jobs like HR or teaching you can go into.

During my final year I was offered a well paid part time job as a neuro support worker, with excellent pay, just because I was doing a psych degree! So many students I work with have either stayed on or went into further education.

However, you have to do what you enjoy and by the time you finish you'll know what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonnys96)
    Hi - I have just finished my psychology degree. I have just been offered a place at Durham University for my MSc. I would strongly recommend doing a degree in psychology! There are so many transferable skills that you can gain and professions such as the police look for them. If you didn't want to train as a psychologist (which is actually in high demand at the moment), there are so many other jobs like HR or teaching you can go into.

During my final year I was offered a well paid part time job as a neuro support worker, with excellent pay, just because I was doing a psych degree! So many students I work with have either stayed on or went into further education.

However, you have to do what you enjoy and by the time you finish you'll know what you want to do!
    Wow thanks so much for the reply this was exactly what I needed to ease my concerns. I was pretty set on doing a Psych degree I think it's just the fact that I'm applying so soon made me doubt my choice. I think you may have just convinced me so thank you so so much

ReputationRep:
    No problem at all! If you have any questions about doing a psych degree, just let me know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.