Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scared for IB + New school Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I hope you're enjoying the summer!
    I just wanted to ask for some advice on dealing with going into Year 12 nerves? I'm quite terrified because I'm going to be doing the IB and I know it's a crap ton of work. Also, I'm going to a new school and boarding for the first time. The school itself is very different to every other school I've seen (Christ's Hospital). All of this is basically just making me feel completely unprepared and scared for what year 12 will hold. If anyone has any advice for dealing with this, I would be so grateful! I know this is a very common problem but it's bothering me quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished IB and I can tell you that Year 12 is heavy on how much you learn, but not so bad on assignments until towards the end of the year. For me Year 13 was hell compared to Year 12, but that's due to poor time management from both myself and my school (especially because I moved to a different school in Year 13 yikes). At the beginning you might feel a little bit (like only a tiny bit) swayed by the amount of information you're absorbing and the expectations and the "NO PLAGIARISM", EE and CAS talks, but you quickly get used to it and find a rhythm. Just pay attention in class, keep a planner and take plenty of class notes. That will help you a ton.

You'll find that in IB, people can be very supportive and there's the whole "We're all in this together~~" thing going on (at least at my schools). So you will definitely not feel alone! Also check the IBO subreddit, people there are very nice and will help you and there are dank IB memes too XD

As for going to a new school, you'll find people to talk to and hang out with. I have a friend who went to boarding school and did well with the whole environment. I guess the only major problem can be homesickness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConfusedTurtle3)
    I just finished IB and I can tell you that Year 12 is heavy on how much you learn, but not so bad on assignments until towards the end of the year. For me Year 13 was hell compared to Year 12, but that's due to poor time management from both myself and my school (especially because I moved to a different school in Year 13 yikes). At the beginning you might feel a little bit (like only a tiny bit) swayed by the amount of information you're absorbing and the expectations and the "NO PLAGIARISM", EE and CAS talks, but you quickly get used to it and find a rhythm. Just pay attention in class, keep a planner and take plenty of class notes. That will help you a ton.

You'll find that in IB, people can be very supportive and there's the whole "We're all in this together~~" thing going on (at least at my schools). So you will definitely not feel alone! Also check the IBO subreddit, people there are very nice and will help you and there are dank IB memes too XD

As for going to a new school, you'll find people to talk to and hang out with. I have a friend who went to boarding school and did well with the whole environment. I guess the only major problem can be homesickness.
    Thank you so so much! This really helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.