Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A-level exam plagiarism? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, in revision for one of my a-level history exams (it was about Nazi Germany), I revised a bit on Germany's involvement in World War 2, and why they lost the war. In that revision, I revised through a sample question/answer about Germany in WW2 given to me by the teacher and also taught myself some of the extracts that came from the sample answer. When the exam came, a question came up about the German's involvement in WW2 (although in the sample it was about whether or not it was the invasion of the USSR that caused Germany's eventual loss in the long run, whereas the exam asked whether or not it was Hitler's poor leadership that was responsible for Germany losing the war). I admittedly copied some extracts and facts from the sample answer (although they were mostly worded differently), while mostly giving out my own facts and arguments (especially helpful since the answer didn't explain certain aspects, nor did it even come with an introduction!). However, even if most of my exam answer would be my own, would the examiners be able to see that some parts of my work might sound familiar? Or would they not care or even know?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mongoose240799)
    So, in revision for one of my a-level history exams (it was about Nazi Germany), I revised a bit on Germany's involvement in World War 2, and why they lost the war. In that revision, I revised through a sample question/answer about Germany in WW2 given to me by the teacher and also taught myself some of the extracts that came from the sample answer. When the exam came, a question came up about the German's involvement in WW2 (although in the sample it was about whether or not it was the invasion of the USSR that caused Germany's eventual loss in the long run, whereas the exam asked whether or not it was Hitler's poor leadership that was responsible for Germany losing the war). I admittedly copied some extracts and facts from the sample answer (although they were mostly worded differently), while mostly giving out my own facts and arguments (especially helpful since the answer didn't explain certain aspects, nor did it even come with an introduction!). However, even if most of my exam answer would be my own, would the examiners be able to see that some parts of my work might sound familiar? Or would they not care or even know?
    The point of revision is to remember this stuff - you can't plagiarise in a closed book exam, surely!

ReputationRep:
    You've nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    The point of revision is to remember this stuff - you can't plagiarise in a closed book exam, surely!
    Thank you very much! Just needed to make sure. I did the same kind of thing with my one of my Sociology exams. Just to ensure, the examiners will not care or know about any sort of plagiarism if the actual exam answer itself comes from my memory?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mongoose240799)
    Thank you very much! Just needed to make sure. I did the same kind of thing with my one of my Sociology exams. Just to ensure, the examiners will not care or know about any sort of plagiarism if the actual exam answer itself comes from my memory?
    I don't see how it's possible at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    I don't see how it's possible at all.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just remember for facts plagiarism is a lot harder to call out. If you put down a paragraph about German industry failing because you read so they are not going to go "hang on, I saw a book say that once must be plagiarized"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.