Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

a level math Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if i got a low C in gcse would i fail taking it in a level?

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much effort you are willing to put in 💪🏼

ReputationRep:
    Might as well just write a U on a paper next to the words maths put it in an envelope, mail it to your self and open it to see your future results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1223)
    You need at least a B to do A level maths so..

ReputationRep:
    Did you do foundation or higher?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily - it depends entirely on your motivation to spend a good deal of time working on the subject though. A-level Maths is significantly more engaging than GCSE Maths though, so it's not entirely uncommon for rather average students in GCSE to apparently improve to better grades in part due to them putting more effort into the subject as they find it more rewarding.

It would be worth discussing your inclinations with your current mathematics teacher and get their opinion. If they feel like you got a C because you didn't particularly apply yourself but they felt you could have/should have done better, it's probably an option.. However if they felt you really struggled to grasp some of the concepts and this was in part the cause of your lower grade, then depending on what exactly you struggled with, this may be a reason to be wary of continuing in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    It is completely upto you but i think it's a more practical approach if you concentrate on your A levels because it is more demanding.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The grades are numbered now so is this a GCSE you did a few years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Many sixth forms make a B, or even an A , an entry requirement for the A level maths course so you may struggle to find a course where you would be accepted. There are people who have done OK having only achieved a C at GCSE but I suspect their circumstances are unusual. You need to think why you only achieved a C and has anything really changed that means you could do better now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian765434)
    Did you do foundation or higher?
    foundation

ReputationRep:
    foundation
    That makes the jump more difficult. Higher tier maths covers a lot of the starting content for A'level maths such as quadratics, the laws of indices etc. It's a big jump from foundation maths.

That said If you are determined and prepared to work really hard nothing's impossible but you have a lot of ground to cover very quickly. If you want to do A'level maths.

Look at the C1 module content that will give you and idea of the topics you need to learn.

ReputationRep:
    well basically i just guessed what i got i went to british school in y10 and was in foundation math then moved to america and started to get my act together with the help of tutors (i followed the american system) i did quite well achieving 90% and lower but i feel like british system is harder.. and i want to know if i should take it if i get tutors etc...

ReputationRep:
    If you really enjoy maths and you're happy to put in some serious work, then go for it. There is no substitute for sheer hard work and enthusiasm for a subject... a tutor will certainly help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian765434)
    That makes the jump more difficult. Higher tier maths covers a lot of the starting content for A'level maths such as quadratics, the laws of indices etc. It's a big jump from foundation maths.

That said If you are determined and prepared to work really hard nothing's impossible but you have a lot of ground to cover very quickly. If you want to do A'level maths.

Look at the C1 module content that will give you and idea of the topics you need to learn.
    i only want to take because i need it to study biology so could it work that i only take it up to AS level?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should talk with your tutors and see what options are open too you. Maybe resit GCSE higher maths then do AS level. It really is such a big jump from foundation maths to AS / A'level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.