Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been wearing braces for a year now and I noticed my bottom teeth have stained badly. Honestly I haven't been flossing but I've brushed my teeth after each meal which is like 3 times a day. I drink a lot of tea though and fizzy pop lately. After seeing my teeth though I can safely say I'm not going to now!

But please can someone tell me the staining will go away if I now floss and stop drinking tea + fizzy drinks I'm actually so down because of it. I know it's my own fault but I'm gutted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomer2086)
    I've been wearing braces for a year now and I noticed my bottom teeth have stained badly. Honestly I haven't been flossing but I've brushed my teeth after each meal which is like 3 times a day. I drink a lot of tea though and fizzy pop lately. After seeing my teeth though I can safely say I'm not going to now!

But please can someone tell me the staining will go away if I now floss and stop drinking tea + fizzy drinks I'm actually so down because of it. I know it's my own fault but I'm gutted.
    Tea will cause some staining so I would recommend not drinking tea.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the staining will go away that fast I'm afraid! They do recommend not to drink fizzy drinks especially because they can build up plaque around the braces and leave white marks which certainly will be there forever! I limited myself to one fizzy drink a week and the routine has stayed with me so has good health benefits as well. You can try using a whitening toothpaste which will remove some of the staining, but I suggest you don't use it before you have your braces removed as it might erode some of the brace too. Just set your limits now and don't let things get any worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomer2086)

I'm unaware of the exact solution but what you can do is talk to your dentist about it. And if he/she is able to get a solution then after that, after drinking such drinks, it's better to use a mouth wash.

ReputationRep:
    My teeth aren't actually stained it's plaque on my bottom teeth but I never noticed it. Do you think it'll come off?

ReputationRep:
    yeah plaque can be removed easily, next time you go to the dentist they should sort it out for you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.