Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been self supporting for 6 years come September and living in my own flat for 5 and a half but according to Student Finance Wales I "wasn't earning enough" between 2011 and 2015! During that time I was claiming Income Support so couldn't exactly receive more than what I was getting at the time. They are currently reconsidering the decision as a woman I spoke to after getting the letter telling me this said that it was strange as if I was claiming benefits it should have gone through regardless of the amount I was getting a week. I'm just worried that they are going to come back and say that they haven't changed their decision as if that's the case with what my mum earns I'd lose about £3,000 in funding which would make it impossible for me to go to uni as without that £3,000 I wouldn't be able to afford accommodation where I'm studying.
    Has anyone else been in this situation and if so what was the outcome as this is causing me a lot of stress and worry on top of everything else and it's taken a toll on my mental health causing me to lose sleep over it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamG94)
    Ok, so I've been self supporting for 6 years come September and living in my own flat for 5 and a half but according to Student Finance Wales I "wasn't earning enough" between 2011 and 2015! During that time I was claiming Income Support so couldn't exactly receive more than what I was getting at the time. They are currently reconsidering the decision as a woman I spoke to after getting the letter telling me this said that it was strange as if I was claiming benefits it should have gone through regardless of the amount I was getting a week. I'm just worried that they are going to come back and say that they haven't changed their decision as if that's the case with what my mum earns I'd lose about £3,000 in funding which would make it impossible for me to go to uni as without that £3,000 I wouldn't be able to afford accommodation where I'm studying.
    Has anyone else been in this situation and if so what was the outcome as this is causing me a lot of stress and worry on top of everything else and it's taken a toll on my mental health causing me to lose sleep over it.
    Did you send in evidence that you were on income support? I don't know the ins and outs of being on benefits and being classed as independent. Did you receive any other benefit such as housing benefit?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SamG94)
    I believe their reconsideration is because they are hiding they have made a mistake.Time on benefits counts for independent student status, unless the rules have suddently changed.

I wouldnt be worried and be ready to show them your research or remind them of their own rules.

Name:  student wales.PNG
Views: 42
Size:  54.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I know time on benefits counts and as I explained to the first person I spoke to about it who tried saying that they couldn't do anything about it if I wasn't "earning enough", government benefits count towards financial independence and that the amount I was getting was the maximum I was entitled to at that age so couldn't receive more. Even the person who put the reconsideration in for me knew something was wrong and I even picked up a HB letter today confirming I was receiving that during 2011-2015 but thankfully when I rang them earlier to ask if it would help they told me the reconsideration went through and that they overlooked something the first time (possibly due to the layout of the income support letter I sent and that whoever looked at my evidence overlooked information due to the layout).

Was just worrying about it as I need to sort out my accommodation for September and to do that I needed my student finance sorted because I still have a few things to sort out benefit wise before September that I need that info for. Just glad that that's one thing off my list sorted.
    • Very Important Poster

Least its sorted and they made a mistake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.