Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How old is too old to call your parents "mummy" and "daddy"? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    My nephew just straight up calls my brother by his first name most of the time, and always has done :gthumb:
    As opposed to calling him what?

ReputationRep:
    Mummy or Daddy after puberty = posh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a fully fledged adult and I still call my dad daddy sometimes lol.. it's just automatic. I know a couple other girls who do and a boy who does it as a jokey kind of thing. Do you think there's an age limit?
    I'm Indian and I call my dad daddy and my mum mother. It's the norm

ReputationRep:
    cause i have a younger sibling i still do AND IM A BOY WHOS SEVENTEEN ffs, i only do in private obviously not public i need to stop this ffs

ReputationRep:
    If you're one of those girls who was brought up by an extremely rich/posh family, who gives you whatever you want..

Then everything is done by "mummy and daddy"

- "oh golly gosh daddy, thank you so much for buying my ninth horsie!"

ReputationRep:
    I stopped at about 8 I guess - that's a ballpark figure, though. I didn't drag it on because I deemed it babyish, but I'm aware that others say it well into adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedwig2189)
    As opposed to calling him what?

As opposed to dad or daddy

he uses it those words some of the time, but tends to call him by his first name more

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I ever said that as opposed to mum and dad (except perhaps very young i.e <6 or so, don't remember much of that). It depends on the family, I don't think there's something inherently wrong with it, even though it would sound weird to me personally if an adult (or a teen for that matter, especially a guy) said it.

ReputationRep:
    There's an age limit? That's news to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    As opposed to dad or daddy

he uses it those words some of the time, but tends to call him by his first name more
    Ah right. I got confused with the generational order of family. Haha thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mum and Dad. Never daddy as IM THE DADDY:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I always call my dad, dad. But I’ve been calling my mum mummy because of my little brother, it’s starting to stick lol

ReputationRep:
    It can be a regional thing. Here in Northern Ireland children, even grown up, still say Mummy and Daddy. My 20 year old son calls me Mummy. "Mum" would sound weird. Unlike my Manchester accent he has a Northern Irish accent. Him saying "Mum", when everyone else his age around him all say "Mummy" would seem strange. But yes, in England, if we still lived there if he tried to call me Mummy i'd probably give him a slap. [ Joke !! ]

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18. I call my father 'daddy' and mother 'mummy'

ReputationRep:
    Never too old if you're from a certain socio-economic background.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person that was expecting something a bit different when I clicked on the link on Today on TSR ?:sherlock:

ReputationRep:
    And I probably stopped by around 9, but my twin sister still says it .

ReputationRep:
    Veruca is that you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I call my daddy Daddy, we're not allowed to call him Dad. And I'm 20. :lol:

Michiyo me daddy is me daddy :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's saying it's a posh thing but my family aren't, I just think it's a nice way to show I appreciate my parents. Nothing wrong with it in my eyes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.