The Student Room Group

How old is too old to call your parents "mummy" and "daddy"?

Scroll to see replies

Why is this thread on the trending tab in 2019...
I still call my mum mummy as a teen, I said to her i'm embarrassed to call her that in front of people other than family, she said she wants me to carry on, I think your mum would find the change weired if ygm.
Similarly with my dad, I call him Baba, can never let go of that!
I guess I’d say until the end of primary school, but ngl I have a habit of calling my mum “mummy” when I want something & I’m trying to butter her up lmao
Reply 63
I dont think I've ever called my parents mummy or daddy always just mum or dad, my sister however is 24 and still calls dad daddy
10 tops lol
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a fully fledged adult and I still call my dad daddy sometimes lol.. it's just automatic. I know a couple other girls who do and a boy who does it as a jokey kind of thing. Do you think there's an age limit?
I’m 45 and still say mummy
Reply 66
Daddy long legs.

Using mummy and daddy above the age of 2 is just plain wierd. I don't think I've ever said it.
I can't remember how old I was when I stopped saying it as part of daily conversation. Definitely primary school, probably aged 10ish. However, I am 28 years of age, and still say "Mummy" or "Daddy" if I'm after something. But they always rumble me before I've even asked!
My mother thinks ‘Mum’ is common and has always preferred ‘Mummy’, so I respect her wishes as her son.
Original post by Uranium Potato
I'm 16, and I still call my parents that, and I think I will keep on doing it forever. For me its shows a closer bond and affection

i think there is nothing wrong with that
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a fully fledged adult and I still call my dad daddy sometimes lol.. it's just automatic. I know a couple other girls who do and a boy who does it as a jokey kind of thing. Do you think there's an age limit?

well, beyond, say, 90, it becomes rather uncommon
best
I've heard somebody in their 50s say it. They were a rather posh family but it still sounded a bit bizarre to me.
I know a woman in her 40s use mummy and daddy.
Very good question. I'm 24 and I say mummy sometimes : ( Is this a problem?
No, I’ve always called my mother Mummy and I’m 45! As her son I respect her wishes as she doesn’t like ‘Mum’.
Original post by Lawyers1
No, I’ve always called my mother Mummy and I’m 45! As her son I respect her wishes as she doesn’t like ‘Mum’.

You've posted in this thread 3 times in the past 24 hours - we get it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending