The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Yes - the reason we started calculating SUMS systematically was because they were shown to have a good correlation with outcomes in Tripos... I imagine that correlation will weaken now that we're working with a much smaller sample size and three exam boards only, however.

Ok thanks!

(I am pretty sure one of your colleagues said different, but I probably misunderstood... )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am a student who has just completed their GCSE’s and is thinking about what A level courses to take in September.
I do have a keen interest in economics and politics and is trying to eventually apply for your economics course at Cambridge (it looks amazing). I just would like to be given some advice (if thats okay) on which A level subjects would give me best preparation to your economics course. Bearing in mind the sixth form I would like to attend (at my current school) doesn’t offer economics A level which A level would be most suited as my third option? I would like to study Mathematics and History A level but not sure what to pick for my last option? (They are also not running Geography A level for my year) I was considering Business A level as I have been told that it covers many economic aspects but as it is seen as a “soft subject” I’m not sure weather to pick that subject, but they do also offer Politics A Level.

Just would like some advice in which subject is best suited for your economics course, if possible.

Thankyou
Having checked this, the standard limit now appears to be 10GB a day without permission, 20GB a day with permission from a Tutor or DoS.

Thank you for checking.
It sounds more generous than it used to be, but supply/demand situations in those kind things changes so rapidly, so not too surprising. Even with lower allowance in those days it was enough to do usual things for work and social things then.

Thanks to your reply, I've noticed a typo (thanks, auto-correct.....) in my post, so now that's corrected. Two birds with one stone!
Original post by lasjmcbr
What would you say are some common pitfalls for applicants in their personal statement and interviews?

For a personal statement, the most common pitfall is probably devoting excessive space to things that aren't directly relevant - either extra-curricular activities, or personal qualities (leadership, time management etc).

For an interview, the most common pitfalls are probably either (a) failing to prepare the really obvious questions (e.g. why do you want to do this course) or (b) over-preparing (and being so eager to trot out pre-rehearsed answers that the interviewers struggle to get you off-script).
Original post by Doonesbury
Ok thanks!

(I am pretty sure one of your colleagues said different, but I probably misunderstood... )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that was my understanding from the AT who originally started collecting UMS. It's all quite a while ago now, anyhow!
Original post by anonoymous1234
Hi,
I am a student who has just completed their GCSE’s and is thinking about what A level courses to take in September.
I do have a keen interest in economics and politics and is trying to eventually apply for your economics course at Cambridge (it looks amazing). I just would like to be given some advice (if thats okay) on which A level subjects would give me best preparation to your economics course. Bearing in mind the sixth form I would like to attend (at my current school) doesn’t offer economics A level which A level would be most suited as my third option? I would like to study Mathematics and History A level but not sure what to pick for my last option? (They are also not running Geography A level for my year) I was considering Business A level as I have been told that it covers many economic aspects but as it is seen as a “soft subject” I’m not sure weather to pick that subject, but they do also offer Politics A Level.

Just would like some advice in which subject is best suited for your economics course, if possible.

Thankyou

The fact that you're not able to do an Economics is not an issue - it's true of a significant number of successful applicants. If you can do Further Maths, then that would be my strongest recommendation, either as a third or fourth A-level (or AS-level, if that's more feasible.) Otherwise, either one out of Politics and Business would be OK, and Physics might be another possibility, if you enjoy it.
The fact that you're not able to do an Economics is not an issue - it's true of a significant number of successful applicants. If you can do Further Maths, then that would be my strongest recommendation, either as a third or fourth A-level (or AS-level, if that's more feasible.) Otherwise, either one out of Politics and Business would be OK, and Physics might be another possibility, if you enjoy it.

Okay thank you so much
Hi there,

Where the GCSEs are concerned, no, you won't be at a disadvantage - it's common for international applicants to have only a small number of IGCSEs, and we understand that most are constrained in terms of what is available to them.

We don't generally accept ACT as a qualification for entry, in itself, but good results in ACT would certainly strengthen your application, yes.

Where STEP is concerned, there are two things to consider: (i) some colleges prefer students to sit STEP in the year of admission, rather than applying post-STEP, and some don't mind (we're very happy to accept post-STEP applications at Christ's, for example); (ii) you do have to declare your results in STEP this year, whatever they are. Whether a bad result in STEP III would affect your application will depend how you do in the other two STEP exams, and your precise academic profile and context.

I'd be very happy to advise further if you PM me when you have your STEP results.

Thanks!
Another question: the Cambridge website reads: "for equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or indicating a preference College makes no difference to your chance of being made an offer".
Is it true that applying to a top college is really no different from making an open application? Then I'd like to apply to Trinity or Christ in this case.
Original post by southpacific
Thanks!
Another question: the Cambridge website reads: "for equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or indicating a preference College makes no difference to your chance of being made an offer".
Is it true that applying to a top college is really no different from making an open application? Then I'd like to apply to Trinity or Christ in this case.

I think there are actually two points, implicit in that sentence:

(i) There is no disadvantage to being an open applicant, insofar as almost all colleges receive at least a few open applicants, each year, and most of the people involved in assessment and interviewing at receiving colleges will have no idea whether they are dealing with an open applicant rather than a "direct" applicant, i.e. they are not discriminating on the basis of application route;

(ii) There are robust mechanisms for re-distributing applicants between colleges, so that even if a particular college is heavily over-subscribed in a given subject, in a given year, and unable to take *all* its admissible candidates, it can export them to other colleges.

(To give you one example, which doesn't appear on the University stats pages because of the way Natural Sciences is recorded: this year, Christ's received 87 applicants for our intended 14 places in Physical Natural Sciences, i.e. 6+ per place, as against approximately 5 per place across the University as a whole. Seeing the quality of these applicants, we managed to "stretch" our places to 16, and 15 further applicants to Christ's received offers from other colleges via the Winter Pool. So although on the face it might look as though they were disadvantaged by naming us as their preference college, in 2017, in fact the overall success ratio of Christ's applicants was much higher than the average across the University, even if they didn't all secure a place at Christ's.)

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying that yes, if you want to apply to Trinity or Christ's, then go for it - it's much better to choose a college where you think you would be happy, than trying to play the odds. You might not end up at that College, but you've got a much better chance of doing so than if you don't apply to it! :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!

I am applying to Economics to Cambridge this year. Last year, I applied to Economics at Cambridge as well but was unfortunately rejected. I would like to know if my personal statement this year has to be similar to what I wrote last year (in terms of structure, content, etc.) ?

If my personal statement this year is totally different in terms of style, structure, content as compared to last year would I be at a disadvantage?
Original post by isaacnow
I am applying to Economics to Cambridge this year. Last year, I applied to Economics at Cambridge as well but was unfortunately rejected. I would like to know if my personal statement this year has to be similar to what I wrote last year (in terms of structure, content, etc.) ?

If my personal statement this year is totally different in terms of style, structure, content as compared to last year would I be at a disadvantage?

Unless you received feedback from the College to which you applied indicating that the content of your personal statement was a significant factor in your rejection, then I think you are free to do whatever you wish.
Reply 331
Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!

Hi,
I am applying for Economics at Cambridge, but wish to transfer to Management Sciences (Part 2 course) after my second year.

I wanted to ask if it would be a disadvantage if my UCAS PS is focused on Management rather than Economics as I will be applying for Management at other universities? Would it be ok if I show my passion for economics and mention that I hope to transfer to Management Science in the COPA?

Also, do you have information about which colleges, if any, do not prefer students to transfer courses?

Thank you so much!
Original post by ashh28
Hi,
I am applying for Economics at Cambridge, but wish to transfer to Management Sciences (Part 2 course) after my second year.

I wanted to ask if it would be a disadvantage if my UCAS PS is focused on Management rather than Economics as I will be applying for Management at other universities? Would it be ok if I show my passion for economics and mention that I hope to transfer to Management Science in the COPA?

Also, do you have information about which colleges, if any, do not prefer students to transfer courses?

Thank you so much!

I think you might be disadvantaged if your UCAS PS is entirely focused on Management rather than Economics (since assessors will, after all, be considering your suitability and your motivation to study Economics for at least two years!), so you should look for ways to balance the two, if you can, perhaps by focusing on issues that would be key to either kind of degree course. Having said that, you can of course you the COPA to elaborate further.

All colleges permit students to switch into Management Studies, but you should bear in mind that there is no "automatic" right of transfer, and numbers in Management Studies are controlled, so you would usually need to secure a solid 2.1 in first- and second- year Economics in order to make the switch.

How much do GCSEs affect your application?
Reply 334
I think you might be disadvantaged if your UCAS PS is entirely focused on Management rather than Economics (since assessors will, after all, be considering your suitability and your motivation to study Economics for at least two years!), so you should look for ways to balance the two, if you can, perhaps by focusing on issues that would be key to either kind of degree course. Having said that, you can of course you the COPA to elaborate further.

All colleges permit students to switch into Management Studies, but you should bear in mind that there is no "automatic" right of transfer, and numbers in Management Studies are controlled, so you would usually need to secure a solid 2.1 in first- and second- year Economics in order to make the switch.

Thank you for your quick reply, I will include some elements that are included in both degree courses, but unfortunately, those are only limited to some economic concepts.

Do you think if my PS is divided into maybe 40% economics/math and 60% management, it could still be competitive?
Original post by ashh28
Thank you for your quick reply, I will include some elements that are included in both degree courses, but unfortunately, those are only limited to some economic concepts.

Do you think if my PS is divided into maybe 40% economics/math and 60% management, it could still be competitive?

Yes, I think so, as long as you use the COPA sensibly.
Unless you received feedback from the College to which you applied indicating that the content of your personal statement was a significant factor in your rejection, then I think you are free to do whatever you wish.

I see. Does Cambridge compare my previous year's personal statement with this year's personal statement when assessing my application?
Hi, how/what would you recommend in terms of volunteering / shadowing or work experience in sixth for someone looking to pursue medicine at Cambridge?
Original post by isaacnow
I see. Does Cambridge compare my previous year's personal statement with this year's personal statement when assessing my application?

No, we don't retain records for unsuccessful applicants, so you will have a completely blank slate, the second time round.
Original post by ᒍack
How much do GCSEs affect your application?

Not exactly a same question, but these will give you some idea on how GCSE data is used by Cambridge.
Any aspect of application doesn't have any fixed weighting. Everything is looked at individually holistically, including and especially GCsE.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4857902#post72993596
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4857902#post72994142
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4857902#post72994278
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest