Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask An(other) Admissions Tutor 25/07/2017-08/08/2017 Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    You said in your last thread that many colleges (including Christ's) treated the results from the pre-interview assessments with caution as they were new. Will this still be the case for 2018 entry?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, thank you very much for hosting this thread. I'm a hopeful Mathematics applicant.

Are there pre-assessment interviews for Mathematics?

Will admissions tutors be expecting students to be applying with stronger UMS in modular subjects during this admission cycle as compared to cycles when all subjects were modular? I ask this in light of the thought that this time around students most likely would have had to sit less exams and thus would have had the chance to prepare better for exams they sat this year.

In addition, how would tutors look at a candidate with one module around 90 UMS (very bad day) and 6 modules very close to or being 100 UMS (God willing I get those scores), assuming a good set of IGCSE results (all A*) and decent performance in pre-admission assessments?

~Enigma

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm getting ahead of myself a bit but I want to apply next year to do the MMaths at Cambridge (2018 entry) .The ucas code (G100) is the same for the BA(Hons) and MMaths so how will the Cambridge College I apply to know that I want to do the four year MMaths rather than the 3 yr BA(Hons) it doesn't look like the UCAS form has a way of distinguishing between the two routes? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a Mathematics offer-holder for Churchill college with an offer of A* in Physics and 1,S among STEP II,III. I am sure of achieving the A* in Physics but exam pressure got to me during my STEP exams and as a result I think it's highly likely I end up with 1,1,1. Overall, how likely is A*A*A*A*A*D and 1,1,1 to be rejected for Maths at Churchill college?

My situation is a bit different, I first applied to Cambridge last year, in Year 11, for 2016 entry after achieving A* in A-level Maths in Year 10. I was given the usual offer of A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics and 1,1 in STEP. Unfortunately, due to having 25 exams in one month, and having self-studied GCSEs, 3 A-levels in one year and STEP - I missed my offer and achieved A*A*BD and 3,1 in II, III overall. I was summer pooled but obviously unsuccessful. I have reapplied to the same college (Churchill) for entry 2017 - I did Add Further Maths, AQA Physics and retook OCR Physics. Also I did Olympiad maths (unsuccessfully) and Olympiad physics (gold medal in BPhO). I come from a poor social background, and not a good school (no help for step, had to self-study all a levels)

ReputationRep:
    What is the summer pool and who is eligible to be entered in to it? Is it only students who have been made an offer and subsequently missed their grades or is it open to people who were winter pooled unsuccessfully but go on to get much better grades than predicted.

ReputationRep:
    how much is the ecf considered when applying to a highly competitive subject such as economics?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    With the A levels changing I will no longer be able to do AS, how can I make a competitive application with weak GCSEs? Say GCSEs with no more than 3 As
    I think you need to talk to your teachers about what A-level grades they think you can realistically secure. If they are prepared to predict you A*AA (or better, if you're interested in Science), then you may still be in with a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life Help)
    Hello,
    I was wondering how Cambridge looks at retakes?
    I haven't yet received my results, but I think I may miss one of my results by a few UMS, and get a B
    I do think that I will get an A* in the other two, and the only reason I think I did bad in that one subject is because I fell ill. I will only be re-taking a module or two if I decide to retake
    I also have very good GCSEs
    The subject I wish to apply for is Computer Science.
    Thank you for any guidance
    Re-taking a module or two is absolutely fine, and at least at Christ's the evidence we have is that people who have done this do just as well once they arrive as people who have not. But feel free to consult me again once you have your actual results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    You said in your last thread that many colleges (including Christ's) treated the results from the pre-interview assessments with caution as they were new. Will this still be the case for 2018 entry?
    It certainly will be at Christ's, yes. And until we actually have detailed information on the relationship between scores in these assessments, and performance on our degree courses (which won't come for a couple of years at least) I imagine it will remain true at many other colleges, as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enigmatically)
    Firstly, thank you very much for hosting this thread. I'm a hopeful Mathematics applicant.

Are there pre-assessment interviews for Mathematics?

Will admissions tutors be expecting students to be applying with stronger UMS in modular subjects during this admission cycle as compared to cycles when all subjects were modular? I ask this in light of the thought that this time around students most likely would have had to sit less exams and thus would have had the chance to prepare better for exams they sat this year.

In addition, how would tutors look at a candidate with one module around 90 UMS (very bad day) and 6 modules very close to or being 100 UMS (God willing I get those scores), assuming a good set of IGCSE results (all A*) and decent performance in pre-admission assessments?

~Enigma
    There are no pre-interview assessments for Mathematics, no.

I don't think we will be expecting students to apply with stronger UMS in modular subjects, no, as we recognize that some students will still be sitting linear AS-levels and others will be doing high-stakes internal examinations in school.

It is quite common for successful Mathematics applicants to have one or two modules which are "wobblier" than the rest, and we'd certainly look favourably on an applicant with this kind of profile at Christ's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!
    For Mathematics, what would the typical requirements and offer be for a US applicant from a high-ranking high school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy99)
    Hello! I'm getting ahead of myself a bit but I want to apply next year to do the MMaths at Cambridge (2018 entry) .The ucas code (G100) is the same for the BA(Hons) and MMaths so how will the Cambridge College I apply to know that I want to do the four year MMaths rather than the 3 yr BA(Hons) it doesn't look like the UCAS form has a way of distinguishing between the two routes? Thanks
    You can indicate your interest in the MMaths on the SAQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Hello,

I am a Mathematics offer-holder for Churchill college with an offer of A* in Physics and 1,S among STEP II,III. I am sure of achieving the A* in Physics but exam pressure got to me during my STEP exams and as a result I think it's highly likely I end up with 1,1,1. Overall, how likely is A*A*A*A*A*D and 1,1,1 to be rejected for Maths at Churchill college?

My situation is a bit different, I first applied to Cambridge last year, in Year 11, for 2016 entry after achieving A* in A-level Maths in Year 10. I was given the usual offer of A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics and 1,1 in STEP. Unfortunately, due to having 25 exams in one month, and having self-studied GCSEs, 3 A-levels in one year and STEP - I missed my offer and achieved A*A*BD and 3,1 in II, III overall. I was summer pooled but obviously unsuccessful. I have reapplied to the same college (Churchill) for entry 2017 - I did Add Further Maths, AQA Physics and retook OCR Physics. Also I did Olympiad maths (unsuccessfully) and Olympiad physics (gold medal in BPhO). I come from a poor social background, and not a good school (no help for step, had to self-study all a levels)
    I can't comment on how likely you are to be accepted or rejected at Churchill, since that may well depend on the performance of their gathered field in STEP. However, I would imagine you would have a very good chance of being "fished" from the Summer Pool by another college, should you secure 1,1 in STEP, given your attainment record to date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RBP_98)
    What is the summer pool and who is eligible to be entered in to it? Is it only students who have been made an offer and subsequently missed their grades or is it open to people who were winter pooled unsuccessfully but go on to get much better grades than predicted.
    The Summer Pool is only for students who have been made an offer and missed their grades. We don't currently have a mechanism to "retrieve" students who were winter pooled unsuccessfully (Cambridge doesn't participate in Adjustment), but if you do do much better than expected and would like some advice on a potential re-application, Christ's is running a special support session (in person and by Skype):

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on how likely you are to be accepted or rejected at Churchill, since that may well depend on the performance of their gathered field in STEP. However, I would imagine you would have a very good chance of being "fished" from the Summer Pool by another college, should you secure 1,1 in STEP, given your attainment record to date.
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I thought so too. However, how likely is it for one to be outright rejected by a college without being summer pooled. I've looked at some FOI statistics, and they clearly show that a few 1,1 offer-holders get rejected every year from Churchill without being pooled first. I presume they were international students, and they were rejected due to English language requirements. Taking that into account, how certain is it of a 1,1 offer-holder to be summer pooled and not outright rejected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moss6)
    how much is the ecf considered when applying to a highly competitive subject such as economics?
    In my experience at Christ's, it is weighted in exactly the same way as it is in any other subject, and we regularly admit Economics applicants with ECFs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I thought so too. However, how likely is it for one to be outright rejected by a college without being summer pooled. I've looked at some FOI statistics, and they clearly show that a few 1,1 offer-holders get rejected every year from Churchill without being pooled first. I presume they were international students, and they were rejected due to English language requirements. Taking that into account, how certain is it of a 1,1 offer-holder to be summer pooled and not outright rejected?
    I haven't seen the FOI statistics in question, but it's possible they include students who failed to meet the A-level condition (i.e. A*A*A or equivalent) and/or international students who in fact withdrew but nonetheless count as "non-acceptances". If you secure the A-level and STEP grades you mention, you would automatically be placed in the Summer Pool, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    For Mathematics, what would the typical requirements and offer be for a US applicant from a high-ranking high school?
    A typical offer would be a solid GPA in your High School Diploma plus either SATs (at least 730 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and 730 in Mathematics, to give a combined score of at least 1,4600) or APs (a score of 5 in five appropriate subjects), plus 1,1 in STEP 2 and STEP 3. We would place most weight on your score in STEP.

ReputationRep:
    The Summer Pool is only for students who have been made an offer and missed their grades. We don't currently have a mechanism to "retrieve" students who were winter pooled unsuccessfully (Cambridge doesn't participate in Adjustment), but if you do do much better than expected and would like some advice on a potential re-application, Christ's is running a special support session (in person and by Skype):

https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admiss...ce-clinic-2017
    What a fantastic initiative. Slightly curious as to what has prompted this, if anything... ?

ReputationRep:
    A typical offer would be a solid GPA in your High School Diploma plus either SATs (at least 730 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and 730 in Mathematics, to give a combined score of at least 1,4600) or APs (a score of 5 in five appropriate subjects), plus 1,1 in STEP 2 and STEP 3. We would place most weight on your score in STEP.
    Thank you for the reply (I assume that it's 1460 for the SAT ). This would be for my daughter. The STEP requirement is a little onerous, but I appreciate why it's there. Are offers made without STEP?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.