Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask An(other) Admissions Tutor 25/07/2017-08/08/2017 Watch

University Navigation

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    What a fantastic initiative. Slightly curious as to what has prompted this, if anything... ?
    We know that post A-level results applicants to Christ's often do very well once they arrive, and we'd like to support and encourage more students who are wavering over whether to take a gap year or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Thank you for the reply (I assume that it's 1460 for the SAT ). This would be for my daughter. The STEP requirement is a little onerous, but I appreciate why it's there. Are offers made without STEP?
    Sorry, you can tell I'm not a Mathematician

No, we don't make offers for Mathematics without STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Re-taking a module or two is absolutely fine, and at least at Christ's the evidence we have is that people who have done this do just as well once they arrive as people who have not. But feel free to consult me again once you have your actual results!
    Thank you very much.
    That makes me feel much better

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thank you for doing this!

I know that the choice of college doesn't influance acceptance, because of the winter pool.

However, I am a mature applicant: do I stand a bigger chance by applying to a mature college?

Will my application be seriously considered by non-mature colleges if I get pooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do colleges really view applicants from candidates with Specific learning difficulties and those who have had significant caring responsibilities for a family member?

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

How will you assess the applicants at interview? What will you look at and what is important? ( I have already seen the interview video, but maybe you can give me some more information.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!
    I intend to apply for Land Economy at Cambridge this year, and wish to take my interviews in Singapore. I have heard from my seniors that taking the TSA is dependent on the college which I apply to, and that apparently there is an additional essay test which I have to complete in an hour.

Could you please clarify? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrétaPanna)
    Hello, thank you for doing this!

I know that the choice of college doesn't influance acceptance, because of the winter pool.

However, I am a mature applicant: do I stand a bigger chance by applying to a mature college?

Will my application be seriously considered by non-mature colleges if I get pooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mature colleges have the same academic standards as non-mature colleges, and in some subjects actually receive significantly higher numbers of applications than certain of their non-mature counterparts. They do have more experience in assessing applicants with non-traditional qualifications, and/or a non-conventional trajectory, and they also have a later deadline in certain subjects, which may suit you better than the October 15 deadline, depending on your circumstances. However each non-mature college has a consultant or "link" mature college they can liaise with in the event that they are in any doubt about an applicant's profile, so you should not be disadvantaged whichever college you choose - and I recommend you think about where you would be happy, rather than trying to "play the odds".

If you are a strong applicant there is no reason your application would not be considered by non-mature colleges at the Winter Pool. However, because of the way the Winter Pool "bidding" process works, it is more likely that a mature college will admit you - this year, for example, Christ's was interested in a number of pooled mature applicants, but the mature colleges took precedence over us, because their overall "need" in the subjects concerned was higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnaBaptist)
    How do colleges really view applicants from candidates with Specific learning difficulties and those who have had significant caring responsibilities for a family member?
    We are genuinely concerned to take all contextual factors into account, and would weigh these carefully in our decision-making both at the offer-making stage, and when deciding which of our "near miss" candidates to accept in August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan98)
    I intend to apply for Land Economy at Cambridge this year, and wish to take my interviews in Singapore. I have heard from my seniors that taking the TSA is dependent on the college which I apply to, and that apparently there is an additional essay test which I have to complete in an hour.

Could you please clarify? Thank you
    All applicants for Land Economy now take the TSA, in its standard form, as outlined at http://www.admissionstestingservice....sa-cambridge/; there is no longer any variation between colleges. (This may have changed since your seniors applied!)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Thank for your reply Christ's Admissions (great job title by the way )

Are you speaking personally i.e. in terms of Christ's or do you believe that all Colleges have a positive approach to specific learning difficulties/young carers? Are any Colleges likely to be more inclined that others to take such a candidate?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wanted to know what sports facilities does Christ's college offer to its students and what opportunities do they have for playing the sport competitively? (I personally am interested in the cricket side but information on sports in general would be appreciated as well)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narjoyvt)
    Hi, just wanted to know what sports facilities does Christ's college offer to its students and what opportunities do they have for playing the sport competitively? (I personally am interested in the cricket side but information on sports in general would be appreciated as well)
    All colleges have active sports teams. Cuppers is the inter college sports competition for cricket, rowing, rugby, football, etc etc and Christ's, and most (all?) colleges have cricket teams.

Eg Christ's won in 2015!
    https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/news/c...am-win-cuppers

Christ's Sports info
    http://ccsu.soc.srcf.net/sport/
    They have a shared sports ground with Catz
    https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/colleg.../sports-fields

Cuppers Cricket
    http://cucc.net/index.php/cuppers/

But when you say "competitively" what standard do you have in mind?

Edit: oops, forgot this was the ATs thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All applicants for Land Economy now take the TSA, in its standard form, as outlined at http://www.admissionstestingservice....sa-cambridge/; there is no longer any variation between colleges. (This may have changed since your seniors applied!)
    I see okay! Please help to clarify two issues:

1. When did this change happen? Was it true that if one took the interview/test in Singapore in 2013 and 2014 (the years my seniors applied), the TSA was only required if he/she applied to selected colleges, and that the written essay test was compulsory for all regardless of the college applied?
    2. For this upcoming interview/test cycle in Singapore 2017, there will only be the TSA and no written essay tests regardless of the college I apply to?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I see okay! Please help to clarify two issues:

1. When did this change happen? Was it true that if one took the interview/test in Singapore in 2013 and 2014 (the years my seniors applied), the TSA was only required if he/she applied to selected colleges, and that the written essay test was compulsory for all regardless of the college applied?
    2. For this upcoming interview/test cycle in Singapore 2017, there will only be the TSA and no written essay tests regardless of the college I apply to?

Thank you!
    1. The change occurred in 2016. Before that, some candidates who came to Cambridge for interview sat the TSA, some sat an essay test, and some did neither, while candidates interviewed in Singapore completed a modified version of the TSA and an essay question.

2. That's correct.

ReputationRep:
    1. The change occurred in 2016. Before that, some candidates who came to Cambridge for interview sat the TSA, some sat an essay test, and some did neither, while candidates interviewed in Singapore completed a modified version of the TSA and an essay question.

2. That's correct.
    Cool, for (2), that includes mature colleges as well?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, for (2), that includes mature colleges as well?
    Yes, the process for applicants to the mature colleges interviewed in Singapore (and in Cambridge in December) will be exactly the same as it is for applicants to the non-mature colleges. March Round applicants to the mature colleges may sit a similar but not identical test.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be of bother, but how does admissions work if I get my A-Level results this year and I would like to apply next year?

I would have applied originally this year but I didn't do so well in English Literature so I was put off applying for thay degree as I achieved AAC. However, it looks like I will do better this year with the required grades for English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!
    how many entrants (on average) do you recieve for HSPS every year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omishas)
    how many entrants (on average) do you recieve for HSPS every year?
    We aim to *admit* at least five students in HSPS at Christ's each year. Our application numbers vary quite significantly from year to year - we had 42 applicants in 2015, but only 23 in 2016.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.