Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask An(other) Admissions Tutor 25/07/2017-08/08/2017 Watch

University Navigation

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley's_Queen)
    Sorry to be of bother, but how does admissions work if I get my A-Level results this year and I would like to apply next year?

I would have applied originally this year but I didn't do so well in English Literature so I was put off applying for thay degree as I achieved AAC. However, it looks like I will do better this year with the required grades for English Literature.
    You simply apply in October in the normal way - we follow the same cycle for post A-level applicants as we do for pre-A-level applicants (same pre-interview assessment, same interview format).

But if you'd like more information, please do sign up for our post-results advice clinic: http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/post-results-advice-clinic-2017

ReputationRep:
    What sort of 'super curricular' activities would Christ's be looking for in an HSPS candidate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    You simply apply in October in the normal way - we follow the same cycle for post A-level applicants as we do for pre-A-level applicants (same pre-interview assessment, same interview format).

But if you'd like more information, please do sign up for our post-results advice clinic: https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admiss...ce-clinic-2017
    Thank you for a quick reply 😊

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the process for applicants to the mature colleges interviewed in Singapore (and in Cambridge in December) will be exactly the same as it is for applicants to the non-mature colleges. March Round applicants to the mature colleges may sit a similar but not identical test.
    Great thanks!

Could you please run through a brief overview of how the interview was conducted for Land Economy in Singapore (i.e. the interview structure)?
    How can I prepare for the interview? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you for doing this. I am just wondering, now that there are no longer AS grades (except some subjects such as Maths and Further Maths which still have them this year), I'm assuming that more emphasis would be put on predicted grades as an indication to a students performance moving on from GCSEs to A-level. However, some schools may under-predict and some may over-predict so how are predictions looked at without AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan98)
    Great thanks! Could you please run through a brief overview of how the interview was conducted for Land Economy in Singapore (i.e. the interview structure)? How can I prepare for the interview? Any tips?
    Can I just point out not all applicants from Singapore can be interviewed in Singapore even if they requested It. It's not just Singapore but at all overseas locations they can only conduct very limited number of interviews over just a few days, and that's for all subjects. As far as I know, more applicants are actually asked to travel to Cambridge to be interviewed at a college they applied to than being interviewed at their local location.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!
    For postgraduate students, specifically those applying for master's degrees, what do you look for in applications apart from the applicant's getting a 1st? Also, do you prefer certain unis above others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Can I just point out not all applicants from Singapore can be interviewed in Singapore even if they requested It. It's not just Singapore but at all overseas locations they can only conduct very limited number of interviews over just a few days, and that's for all subjects. As far as I know, more applicants are actually asked to travel to Cambridge to be interviewed at a college they applied to than being interviewed at their local location.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you: it is true that there is very limited capacity in the Hong Kong and Canada interview schemes, but the vast majority of Singaporeans who wish to be interviewed in Singapore, are interviewed there. The only exceptions are Singaporeans who actively decide to travel to Cambridge, themselves, and Singaporeans who are de-selected by the Overseas Interview Scheme (almost invariably with the agreement of their preference college). We are also able to accommodate almost all prospective interviewees in Malaysia and the Shanghai region.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you: it is true that there is very limited capacity in the Hong Kong and Canada interview schemes, but the vast majority of Singaporeans who wish to be interviewed in Singapore, are interviewed there. The only exceptions are Singaporeans who actively decide to travel to Cambridge, themselves, and Singaporeans who are de-selected by the Overseas Interview Scheme (almost invariably with the agreement of their preference college). We are also able to accommodate almost all prospective interviewees in Malaysia and the Shanghai region.
    Oh I see. Sorry for my misconception re Singapore interviews.
    Has it been always the case there or have you increased the capacity in recent years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Oh I see. Sorry for my misconception re Singapore interviews.
    Has it been always the case there or have you increased the capacity in recent years?
    It's been the case for at least the last five years.

ReputationRep:
    It's been the case for at least the last five years.
    Ok thank you for the information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I was just wondering, on what basis are students de-selected by the Overseas Interview Scheme? Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Er, hi there. I'm an offer holder for this application cycle, and I was wondering about the Summer Pool. My offer is for A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics in any order. My question is that if I get A*AA, with the A* in further maths, how likely am I to end up in the Summer Pool?
    I somewhat messed up my C4 exam and so I am concerned that that will cause me to miss my offer because of the way the A* is awarded in maths. I should end upwith >90 UMS average across all 6 modules, since i did quite well last year, if that is of any use.

The course is Chemical Engineering via Engineering (H810), to clarify.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    Er, hi there. I'm an offer holder for this application cycle, and I was wondering about the Summer Pool. My offer is for A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics in any order. My question is that if I get A*AA, with the A* in further maths, how likely am I to end up in the Summer Pool?
    I somewhat messed up my C4 exam and so I am concerned that that will cause me to miss my offer because of the way the A* is awarded in maths. I should end upwith >90 UMS average across all 6 modules, since i did quite well last year, if that is of any use.
    For which course?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    For which course?
    Chemical Engineering via Engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan98)
    Great thanks!

Could you please run through a brief overview of how the interview was conducted for Land Economy in Singapore (i.e. the interview structure)?
    Yes, the process for applicants to the mature colleges interviewed in Singapore (and in Cambridge in December) will be exactly the same as it is for applicants to the non-mature colleges. March Round applicants to the mature colleges may sit a similar but not identical test.
    Great thanks!

Could you please run through a brief overview of how the interview was conducted for Land Economy in Singapore (i.e. the interview structure) as it is such a unique course?

ReputationRep:
    All applicants for Land Economy now take the TSA, in its standard form, as outlined at http://www.admissionstestingservice....sa-cambridge/; there is no longer any variation between colleges. (This may have changed since your seniors applied!)
    Hi! May I also check if I wish to take my interviews and tests in Singapore for Land Economy this year, would the submitting of written work (one or two college essays) prior to the interview to the colleges Fitzwilliam, Homerton, Lucy Cavendish, Murray Edwards, Pembroke, St Edmund's, Trinity Hall, Wolfson apply to me as well? If so, how do I submit the written work, and when is the deadline for submission? (I'm asking because my seniors applied to the aforementioned colleges in 2013 and 2014 while taking their interviews/tests in Singapore and they did not have to submit any written work).

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Christ's college,

I am a prospectie applicant for the upcoming cycle and hoping to become a student of Japanese Studies within the AMES course. I have a couple of general questions but can apply to Christ's as I am still undecided in some ways on which college to apply to.

Is it advantageous to apply to a college with a fellow in Japanese rather than without?
    How many Japanese students are at Christ's in Undergrad at the minute?

ReputationRep:
    Hi how are internally-assessed qualifications such as the IB Middle Year Programme viewed? Would the lack of an actual national qualification like the GCSEs be a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am split between applying for education, policy/development and HSPS. I'm leaning more towards education but I'm worried that education may be a bit narrow. How difficult would it be to study education for a year and then switch to HSPS for second and third year? I'm aware of the tripos system but was a bit confused as education seems to be divided into iA and iB, so would I need to finish first and second year before I would be allowed to switch?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.