Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do with my life and what to study Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm about to enter my final year of A levels this september and I still don't know what to do with my life. This is a very stressful position to be in because in September I'm supposed to start applying and gathering all my documents. I have no particular dream or passion for anything unlike a lot of my friends who were set on what they want to study in uni since GCSES. Its also super stressful because in order to choose what uni i wanna go to, I need to have a specific program in mind
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgys44)
    So I'm about to enter my final year of A levels this september and I still don't know what to do with my life. This is a very stressful position to be in because in September I'm supposed to start applying and gathering all my documents. I have no particular dream or passion for anything unlike a lot of my friends who were set on what they want to study in uni since GCSES. Its also super stressful because in order to choose what uni i wanna go to, I need to have a specific program in mind
    The problem is at this stage that lots of people feel like they have to go to university. You don't. If you don't think it's right for you then you can look at taking other routes, like higher apprenticeships. If you really need time to decide, you could take a gap year after your A Levels and go to some university open days this year so you can get a taste of your options and some information about different degree routes. The worst thing you can do is rush a choice because you're doing your UCAS application and you feel pressured. You don't want to end up at a university you don't like doing a degree you also don't like - you have time, so use it.

What you could do, to give you some inspiration, is go onto the Which? Uni A Level explorer to see which degrees people who took your A Levels went into. Something I did was a lot more long-winded, but it worked: I went onto the UCAS website and scanned through almost all of the university pages to see what courses I could do firstly (eg I couldn't do subjects that required chemistry, like pharmacy or medicine) and which courses I would like to do (I didn't want to do any social sciences or arts). I noted down the subjects that were a match for both of those and then I did a search to see which universities do the degrees I've chosen. I could then narrow it down and go to some open days.

The first open day I went to was at the University of Manchester (which is now my firm). I went to the earth science, environmental science, and geography talks as well as going to get more information about zoology. Once the day had finished, it was clear that my passions laid in environmental science, so for the rest of my open days I focused solely on that degree in terms of subject talks. You could do this, however I did all of this in the first year of my A Levels so you're cutting it a bit short. Look at some open days and see if you can get to them in time, otherwise you might want to just take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    What A levels are you doing? Try and pick a degree that suits your A level subjects and you like. If nothing comes to mind try looking at apprenticeships or perhaps take a gap year and give yourself some more time to decide.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention: I'm currently doing biology,chemistry,maths and business studies but only continuing the first three up to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should consider taking a gap year? I'm yet to meet anyone who regrets taking a year out, yet I have met lots of people (myself included) who regret not taking a year to fully appreciate what they were about to commit to. There's nothing worse than taking out some £40,000+ in student loans (tuition + maintenance) to fund a degree programme you are not truly passionate about, at a university not aligned with your personality and/ or broader interests. Just focus on getting the best grades you can in those traditional, rigorous subjects you are taking at A-Level and then take your time working out how you want to use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    The problem is at this stage that lots of people feel like they have to go to university. You don't. If you don't think it's right for you then you can look at taking other routes, like higher apprenticeships. If you really need time to decide, you could take a gap year after your A Levels and go to some university open days this year so you can get a taste of your options and some information about different degree routes. The worst thing you can do is rush a choice because you're doing your UCAS application and you feel pressured. You don't want to end up at a university you don't like doing a degree you also don't like - you have time, so use it.

What you could do, to give you some inspiration, is go onto the Which? Uni A Level explorer to see which degrees people who took your A Levels went into. Something I did was a lot more long-winded, but it worked: I went onto the UCAS website and scanned through almost all of the university pages to see what courses I could do firstly (eg I couldn't do subjects that required chemistry, like pharmacy or medicine) and which courses I would like to do (I didn't want to do any social sciences or arts). I noted down the subjects that were a match for both of those and then I did a search to see which universities do the degrees I've chosen. I could then narrow it down and go to some open days.

The first open day I went to was at the University of Manchester (which is now my firm). I went to the earth science, environmental science, and geography talks as well as going to get more information about zoology. Once the day had finished, it was clear that my passions laid in environmental science, so for the rest of my open days I focused solely on that degree in terms of subject talks. You could do this, however I did all of this in the first year of my A Levels so you're cutting it a bit short. Look at some open days and see if you can get to them in time, otherwise you might want to just take a gap year.
    Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately I have no option over whether or not I can go to university (thank you parents lol) but I'll just have to research a bit more. Also, that website you linked me to was very helpful! Thank you so much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgys44)
    Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately I have no option over whether or not I can go to university (thank you parents lol) but I'll just have to research a bit more. Also, that website you linked me to was very helpful! Thank you so much
    In that case, maybe you should take a gap year to do make sure you do enough research! Although, I maintain that your parents should have it explained to them that there are more routes to go down after finishing A Levels, aside from the traditional route.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.