Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is History a good degree? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HI everyone,

Again I feel that I have been put down by people studying science subjects, so I am just coming here to speak about it.

I study History at a top ranked uni for it (I won't name my Uni, but it is in the top 5 for History).

I worry that I won't be able to get a good job after it, as it is not a science/engineering degree.

I hate being made to feel so inferior by so called 'friends' who study Science degrees. They say things jokingly to me, but deep down, it really gets to me. There is so much work and pressure on this degree.

I worked very hard to get here, but I worry that because of my subject choice, I have no future.

I am not going to speak to these 'friends' anymore. They make me so upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm98)
    HI everyone,

Again I feel that I have been put down by people studying science subjects, so I am just coming here to speak about it.

I study History at a top ranked uni for it (I won't name my Uni, but it is in the top 5 for History).

I worry that I won't be able to get a good job after it, as it is not a science/engineering degree.

I hate being made to feel so inferior by so called 'friends' who study Science degrees. They say things jokingly to me, but deep down, it really gets to me. There is so much work and pressure on this degree.

I worked very hard to get here, but I worry that because of my subject choice, I have no future.

I am not going to speak to these 'friends' anymore. They make me so upset.
    It's not like a science/engineering degree guarantees you a job anyway, jobs in those fields are still oversubscribed just like all the other grad jobs out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    It's not like a science/engineering degree guarantees you a job anyway, jobs in those fields are still oversubscribed just like all the other grad jobs out there.
    Thank you very much for getting back - I know ! Just some who take up STEM subjects get so arrogant over the Arts. I just feel so bad when they make jokes like 'you're going to be working in McDonalds for the rest of your life' (no offence to those who do work in McDonalds). This degree just causes me so much stress, and I work so hard for it. The thought of it leading to no credible prospects (after me working harder than the STEM friends who insult me) genuinely gets me down.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for getting back - I know ! Just some who take up STEM subjects get so arrogant over the Arts. I just feel so bad when they make jokes like 'you're going to be working in McDonalds for the rest of your life' (no offence to those who do work in McDonalds). This degree just causes me so much stress, and I work so hard for it. The thought of it leading to no credible prospects (after me working harder than the STEM friends who insult me) genuinely gets me down.
    You can get a graduate job with any degree, it doesn't matter the subject. All a degree is for graduate employers is an indicator that you are willing to learn and can adhere to deadlines.

I know a number of people at my part-time work who have science and engineering degrees and are still looking for an actual role in their degree field. Just ignore your friends, they have little idea about the current graduate job market.

ReputationRep:
    Lets say you go to UCL which is a top 5 for history, the average salary is 22k, lets say you do computer science at UCL average salary is 35k. The numbers don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    Lets say you go to UCL which is a top 5 for history, the average salary is 22k, lets say you do computer science at UCL average salary is 35k. The numbers don't lie.
    Where are you getting those figures from?

ReputationRep:
    OP was not concerned with salary, he was concerned about actually getting a job. Just because one job pays higher than another does not mean they are in abundance.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    richy8888

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/careers/

After 40 months, the average salary range for the courses you cited are:

Computer Science: £25,000.00 - £45,000.00

History: £22,000 - £33,000

That means that there will be some UCL History graduates earning more than their Computer Science counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you getting those figures from?
    Which Uni? <-- the actual website name

(Original post by Cubone-r)
    OP was not concerned with salary, he was concerned about actually getting a job. Just because one job pays higher than another does not mean they are in abundance.
    100% employed for both apparently just the salaries differ, check different sources I only know of 2; which uni? and unistats

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/careers/

After 40 months, the average salary range for the courses you cited are:

Computer Science: £25,000.00 - £45,000.00

History: £22,000 - £33,000

That means that there will be some UCL History graduates earning more than their Computer Science counterparts.
    lol, but in order to check which is higher payed on average you have to take the mean of both salaries so you would get 35k for ucl compsci and 27.5k for history but that's assuming equal numbers earn all salaries but you cant make this assumption and since we don't have the data for all this but which uni? do, so do unistats we use them. 35k for compsci is actually very interesting because it means that on average equal number of people earned different salaries.

ReputationRep:
    You have **** friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    You have **** friends
    I know! I actually am beginning to doubt that they are actually true friends. Every time they make one of these jokes, it completely undermines my confidence in everything that I do.

ReputationRep:
    I know! I actually am beginning to doubt that they are actually true friends. Every time they make one of these jokes, it completely undermines my confidence in everything that I do.
    These friends are toxic, please drop them for your own sake. History I know is not an easy degree and it requires a lot of time and effort. They are getting too cocky with their science degrees and they obviously get satisfaction when they try to bring you down. You're doing a degree you enjoy and that's all that matters. Seriously... drop them. You need better friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    These friends are toxic, please drop them for your own sake. History I know is not an easy degree and it requires a lot of time and effort. They are getting too cocky with their science degrees and they obviously get satisfaction when they try to bring you down. You're doing a degree you enjoy and that's all that matters. Seriously... drop them. You need better friends.
    Thanks - I definitely will. People at this Uni can be so snobby at times. They constantly make me feel that I have no future, and as I have very few other people to talk to, the only place I have to come and seek reassurances after I have had my confidence undermined is here. Unfortunately though, not everyone on this forum appears to be as sympathetic as you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing a English and History degree and I love it, even though it is very hard. My extended family is always asking me if I plan to work in retail as they are all studying STEM subjects.

Here is the thing though. A degree like history means you can change careers more easily than say a person doing computer science. A lot of history graduates have gone on to do different things. A lot of politicians have history degrees as do lawyers, civil servants, and headteachers.

In the end it is not your degree that matters but how much ambition you have to get to a certain career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    I'm also doing a English and History degree and I love it, even though it is very hard. My extended family is always asking me if I plan to work in retail as they are all studying STEM subjects.

Here is the thing though. A degree like history means you can change careers more easily than say a person doing computer science. A lot of history graduates have gone on to do different things. A lot of politicians have history degrees as do lawyers, civil servants, and headteachers.

In the end it is not your degree that matters but how much ambition you have to get to a certain career.
    It's just awful when people make assumptions about where your degree will take you, especially as it is not as easy as they think it is, and entails so much hard work. My heart has been set on Politics and more recently the Civil Service ever since I was 10!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I definitely will. People at this Uni can be so snobby at times. They constantly make me feel that I have no future, and as I have very few other people to talk to, the only place I have to come and seek reassurances after I have had my confidence undermined is here. Unfortunately though, not everyone on this forum appears to be as sympathetic as you!
    Don't let them get to you , man. Focus on getting a first and getting out of uni. And I'm sure you can make new friends since you already have made friends from other courses.

ReputationRep:
    At a top-tier university (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, etc.), a History degree is indeed a worthy investment. Not only is it highly regarded by employers, it's legitimately taxing and intellectually demanding. Not to mention interesting! You'll forever be king of the pub quiz. Jokes aside, it's a good degree at the right university. I know a few people from my university (it's one of said top-tier universities, cringe along) who have secured jobs at J.P. Morgan, Bloomberg, Civil Service Fast Stream, and Slaughter and May with their History degrees. Go for it.

P.S.: In any case, you could always do a Law conversion if immediate employment is not forthcoming. Lawyers love historians, oddly.

ReputationRep:
    I never said that I wasn't sympathetic, I just stated the facts. Your friends should try to help you progress in life and in your career repeating insults isn't the way to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.