The Student Room Group

Is History a good degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tomm98
HI everyone,

Again I feel that I have been put down by people studying science subjects, so I am just coming here to speak about it.

I study History at a top ranked uni for it (I won't name my Uni, but it is in the top 5 for History).

I worry that I won't be able to get a good job after it, as it is not a science/engineering degree.

I hate being made to feel so inferior by so called 'friends' who study Science degrees. They say things jokingly to me, but deep down, it really gets to me. There is so much work and pressure on this degree.

I worked very hard to get here, but I worry that because of my subject choice, I have no future.

I am not going to speak to these 'friends' anymore. They make me so upset.

It is as good a degree as any.

Your "friends" are dickwads who clearly don't understand the dynamics of graduate prospects and probably put much of their sense of self into what they study. Truth is they probably have no idea what they want to do with their lives anyway.

History is a great general degree, it opens up doors to do specific things (e.g. historian, museum work, research etc) but also opens doors to the vast majority of grad schemes (anything from finance, to law, to whatever) that are open to all.

How competitive you'll be for that stuff, however, is more about what you've spent your time doing at uni - extracurriculars, work experience, part time jobs, leadership, your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by constantine2016
I'm also doing a English and History degree and I love it, even though it is very hard. My extended family is always asking me if I plan to work in retail as they are all studying STEM subjects.

Here is the thing though. A degree like history means you can change careers more easily than say a person doing computer science. A lot of history graduates have gone on to do different things. A lot of politicians have history degrees as do lawyers, civil servants, and headteachers.

In the end it is not your degree that matters but how much ambition you have to get to a certain career.

Well, no.

That is false. Any respected degree will keep doors open. There's nothing stopping a CompSci from doing politics or teaching or law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It is as good a degree as any.

Your "friends" are dickwads who clearly don't understand the dynamics of graduate prospects and probably put much of their sense of self into what they study. Truth is they probably have no idea what they want to do with their lives anyway.

History is a great general degree, it opens up doors to do specific things (e.g. historian, museum work, research etc) but also opens doors to the vast majority of grad schemes (anything from finance, to law, to whatever) that are open to all.

How competitive you'll be for that stuff, however, is more about what you've spent your time doing at uni - extracurriculars, work experience, part time jobs, leadership, your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount of history grads in IB..
Original post by Princepieman
Well, no.

That is false. Any respected degree will keep doors open. There's nothing stopping a CompSci from doing politics or teaching or law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there is in the fact that law involves a lot of academic writing/reading and if you did a course like computer science where you don't do much academic writing or reading then you will find it very hard to get into the practice whereas a history graduate won't. You would have to study way more than a history graduate would just to simply be able to gain the academic writing skills needed in a law degree.

Computer science graduates could go into politics but it is more common for humanities graduates to go into politics because humanities graduates develop good skills in forming arguments.
Original post by constantine2016
Well there is in the fact that law involves a lot of academic writing/reading and if you did a course like computer science where you don't do much academic writing or reading then you will find it very hard to get into the practice whereas a history graduate won't. You would have to study way more than a history graduate would just to simply be able to gain the academic writing skills needed in a law degree.

Computer science graduates could go into politics but it is more common for humanities graduates to go into politics because humanities graduates develop good skills in forming arguments.

Tis called the GDL and LPC which both stem and non-law humanities students have to go through, there's nothing different in the process.

Ok, CompSci develops strong logical reasoning and problem solving skills...

Point is no respected degree limits you to anything.
Original post by Cubone-r
It's not like a science/engineering degree guarantees you a job anyway, jobs in those fields are still oversubscribed just like all the other grad jobs out there.

ill disagree with engineering being oversubscribed...
Original post by Tomm98
HI everyone,

Again I feel that I have been put down by people studying science subjects, so I am just coming here to speak about it.

I study History at a top ranked uni for it (I won't name my Uni, but it is in the top 5 for History).

I worry that I won't be able to get a good job after it, as it is not a science/engineering degree.

I hate being made to feel so inferior by so called 'friends' who study Science degrees. They say things jokingly to me, but deep down, it really gets to me. There is so much work and pressure on this degree.

I worked very hard to get here, but I worry that because of my subject choice, I have no future.

First things first, those people who make you feel bad for studying history aren't nice people.
Secondly, you'll be more able to get a good job and have a wider variety of jobs available to you when you graduate - history has awesome transferable skills (part of the reason why I'm going on to study it with Media, Communications and Culture at uni in September!). You do you. You can never guarantee a job. My brother has a chemistry degree and was super snobby about STEM subjects and currently he is working in business, partially because he couldn't find a job in chemistry and partially because he hated chemistry after his degree. As far as I know, if you work hard and can show how good you are at what you do, you should be fine. I wish you lots of luck!
FOOK History
Original post by J-SP
Unemployment rate of all graduates: 6.7%

Unemployment rate of Mechanical engineering grads: 7.8%
Unemployment rate of Electrical engineering grads: 8.3%

hmm,
Original post by J-SP
Unemployment rate of all graduates: 6.7%

Unemployment rate of Mechanical engineering grads: 7.8%
Unemployment rate of Electrical engineering grads: 8.3%

your stats are irrelevant unless you quote your reference.

then I'll believe you :smile:
Original post by J-SP
https://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/What_do_graduates_do_2016.pdf

and I typed it wrong. General grad unemployment is 5.7% not 6.7%

That's disappointing to hear from a prospective engineering student...

I don't think it's being from over subscribed however because you have more than likely heard of the "skills shortages in engineering".
Here we go again. :banghead:
Original post by Tomm98
HI everyone,

It's not your subject choice which determines your future, its you. It's the work experience you can offer prospective employers along with a strong job application which makes you employable. And I cannot emphasise the need for work experience enough.
Original post by Samendra
I never said that I wasn't sympathetic, I just stated the facts. Your friends should try to help you progress in life and in your career repeating insults isn't the way to do it.

You were being a bit of a smug ass

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apeshit007
FOOK History

You could learn a thing or two about history judging by your posts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YaliaV
You could learn a thing or two about history judging by your posts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Calm down its a joke. And i got a B in history quite decent considering I had a supply teacher for 5 months and I probably would have got a A if my teacher didn't give birth early.
What could have been if it wasn't for that baby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending