The Student Room Group

University life hacks - add yours!

Moving away from home can be a daunting experience, with even the most self-sufficient of us coming unstuck at some point or another. :afraid:

This has got us thinking - what clever tips and tricks can you share with freshers in regards to living in halls?

We'll start you off:

Wire management:

Ethernet cables, HDMI leads, chargers... why do they always get so tangled up behind your desk?! Attach bulldog clips to the end of your desk to keep them separate and tidy.

Microwaving pizza:

Leftover pizza is delicious, but some of us can't stomach it cold from the fridge. Warm your slices in the microwave alongside a small (microwave safe) cup of water - it stops the crust from going chewy! :clap2:
Wrap your room temperature wine/beer/poison of choice in some damp kitchen towel and put in the fridge (or freezer depending on how impatient you are). Cools in no time!
Original post by paintedpixie
Wrap your room temperature wine/beer/poison of choice in some damp kitchen towel and put in the fridge (or freezer depending on how impatient you are). Cools in no time!

Nice tip!

Here's another...

Avoid Freshers Flu:

Freshers Flu is definitely a real thing! It's caused by mingling - meeting lots of new people from different environments means there's plenty of germs waiting to breed. This, teamed with the fact that you're likely to be burning to candle at both ends during Freshers Week with late nights, increased alcohol and junk food consumption, means that your system will likely already be run down and susceptible to catching a cold. Make sure you're prepared! Stock up on the antibacterial hand gel, Berocca and lots of fruit and veg to give your immune system a boost!
Start early!

Start making friends as soon as possible because missing one social event during Freshers can really make things harder. Do not expect people to come up to you and make conversations, you have to put the work in if you want something to last. And also, don't force it. If it doesn't click, leave it. Don't be afraid to talk to random Freshers during nights out, talk to other people in your accommodation and not just your flat and be a little adventurous in lectures; sit next to the cute girl, the hot guy, the girl with the bright hair or the dude with the cool shoes! Make the most out of meeting new people!
Reply 4
I would say studying abroad can be quite dreadful when I need to move to different country and leave my parents, my families, and my friends, but one thing for sure, studying abroad has opened my mind to be more independent, be more mature, also get a new friends from around the world. However, it is undeniably hard for me to come to new country and adapting with new cultures, new people, also crucially, language barriers. My suggestion is come to the city as early as possible, so you can get familiar with the city and surroundings. Do not miss fresher's week ! It is one of the opportunity to get along with new people and new friends. Be approachable and sociable ! You don't need to be an expert speaker, but you just can start with your name and where do you come from. Sign up for any societies and extra-curricular in the school that might intrigued and excited you the most, so you can get in touch with more friends, not just from your courses, but other courses as well.
Original post by Staffordshire University
Moving away from home can be a daunting experience, with even the most self-sufficient of us coming unstuck at some point or another. :afraid:

This has got us thinking - what clever tips and tricks can you share with freshers in regards to living in halls?

We'll start you off:

Wire management:

Ethernet cables, HDMI leads, chargers... why do they always get so tangled up behind your desk?! Attach bulldog clips to the end of your desk to keep them separate and tidy.

Microwaving pizza:

Leftover pizza is delicious, but some of us can't stomach it cold from the fridge. Warm your slices in the microwave alongside a small (microwave safe) cup of water - it stops the crust from going chewy! :clap2:

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread!

How about:

1) Hang your clothes in the bathroom when you have a shower to steam out creases. No one has time to iron.

2) Double your wardrobe space with ring pulls

Ringpull.jpg

Thanks,
Heather
Reply 6
If you're moving far away then try and arrange a food delivery for the evening of your arrival :smile: it makes it so much easier when you don't know the area and would've had a long day from driving, packing and unpacking
Original post by lilGem
If you're moving far away then try and arrange a food delivery for the evening of your arrival :smile: it makes it so much easier when you don't know the area and would've had a long day from driving, packing and unpacking

This is a fantastic idea - our favourite so far! :clap2:

Can anyone top this?
Reply 8
Original post by Staffordshire University
This is a fantastic idea - our favourite so far! :clap2:

Can anyone top this?

I did this during my second and third year, now moving 200 miles away to Sheffield for my masters and it's all booked in
If you have an early lecture and don't have an alarm clock, put your phone in a dry glass cup, which will make its alarm much louder.
Original post by PlainDoll
If you have an early lecture and don't have an alarm clock, put your phone in a dry glass cup, which will make its alarm much louder.

Thanks PlainDoll, this one will come in handy for lots of people, we imagine!

Here's another..

Do your food shopping in the evening!

Not only are the supermarkets generally quieter at this time, you'll have first dibs on all of the reduced fresh produce that the store needs to sell before the end of the day. You can get yourself some serious bargains on everything from meat, fruit and veg and dairy products - there's often some huge reductions to be found. If it's safe to do so, pop your yellow-stickered treasure in your freezer, that way you can keep it fresh for much longer!

We've done a quick bit of research and found this handy chart that shows the times that each supermarket usually rolls out their reduced produce:

studentroomshop.jpg
Buy a clothes horse, it'll save you money using the dryer every week, and it'll also mean your clothes won't shrink off using the dryer.

Get a jar and put it on your shelf to save loose pennies and other coppers you end up accumulating. They may not seem like much now but when it comes to January and your a few days off been paid, those pennies can add up to £10/£15 and that'll be enough to get you through until pay day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Invest in a door stop and leave your door open!

I mean of course shut and lock it behind you when you're heading off to lectures for the day, but when you're back in halls, keep your door open. It's tempting to shut yourself out from the world and be in your own space, but for at least for the first few weeks I recommend making a point of not shutting it. It signals to others that you're open to being social and making friends, and they make it easier for those random hangouts where everybody piles into someone's room and watches a movie or something. It is stupidly simple, yet very effective 😄
Do food shopping in bulk! If there are any things you need such as ketchup, bin liners and tin foil, why not get it with other people you live with? This will cost you much less :smile:
1) don't do shopping physically, join as a flat to split delivery cost and do it all online SO MUCH EASIER
2) get a door stop
3) bring chocolates to offer
4) don't think you'll buy all plates things when u get here- way too difficult
5) download uber/ just eat
6) get freshers tickets before you arrive
7) go and speak to everyone, people get friend groups quick so try and speak to everyone
8) be open to everything
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread!

How about:

1) Hang your clothes in the bathroom when you have a shower to steam out creases. No one has time to iron.

2) Double your wardrobe space with ring pulls

Ringpull.jpg

Thanks,
Heather

Thanks
I work at costa, heres a hack for free drinks (bit of a palava but hey we're all broke here so needs must)

Babycinnos are free. Ask for three chocolate babycinnos. You'll be given three very small hot chocolates. Now say, 'hey could I just have a medium cup'? We have to give you one, so then pour the babycinnos in. Bam, you've free hot chocolate rather than paying 3.40 for each one. To make it a mocha just order a double espresso too and pour it first (gotta buy the espresso but still works out cheaper yeaaa)
I am loving this thread @Staffordshire University!

My first tip would be coloured cutlery and utensils.
It sounds silly but getting matching cutlery in a bright colour really helps you out. All of mine were bright orange, which meant when they were laying on the drying board, I knew exactly which were mine to pop back in my drawer.
It really became a life hack when my flat mates clocked on and started putting them away for me because they recognised it was mine.

Whilst everyone shares and you can use each others' stuff, it is great to know you always have the same amount of forks that you started with and you won't get caught without one when you are starving!

My second tip is extension leads.
Get as many of them as you can get your hands on. Plugs can be in the most awkward places in student accommodation and sometimes lacking. By the time I had all of my devices, lights and chargers plugged in, I was very glad for them. It even meant I could lie in bed on my phone, without it, it would not have reached as comfortably.

Lydia :smile:
This might be an obvious tip but using apps helps so much. Especially if you need help and quick. For languages memrise and duolingo are my go-to. For anything work or support related stuff I use the Young Work App, they are excellent for signposting or finding you specific career experiences to boost your CV / personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest