The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor applying age 21+

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to apply for Law at 21. I have an access to HE Diploma which I completed this year graded 45 distinctions. The subjects were history, psychology and literary studies.

Unfortunately I have BPD and I was in and out of hospital a lot during my teens. It really affected my A levels: ACCC at AS and B at A2. I was traumatised and unmediated at the time and could rarely make it to sixth form. In the end I dropped out completely at 19 and only took one exam at the urging of my school who thought I'd get an A* in it.

On paper with 45 distinctions and 10 GCSE's graded A*-B I look like a good mature candidate for Cambridge. In my view if I put down my A level grades I suddenly look unfit.

What would your view be as an admissions tutor? I am capable as a student I was just horribly unwell in my teens.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Genie412
I'm hoping to apply for Law at 21. I have an access to HE Diploma which I completed this year graded 45 distinctions. The subjects were history, psychology and literary studies.

Unfortunately I have BPD and I was in and out of hospital a lot during my teens. It really affected my A levels: ACCC at AS and B at A2. I was traumatised and unmediated at the time and could rarely make it to sixth form. In the end I dropped out completely at 19 and only took one exam at the urging of my school who thought I'd get an A* in it.

On paper with 45 distinctions and 10 GCSE's graded A*-B I look like a good mature candidate for Cambridge. In my view if I put down my A level grades I suddenly look unfit.

What would your view be as an admissions tutor? I am capable as a student I was just horribly unwell in my teens.

Not the AT... but congratulations on an amazing performance after your earlier difficulties! YOu do need to declare all your grades on UCAS (and on Cambridge's SAQ) but you can also include information about the situation using the ECF.

I think you'd be a competitive candidate given your Access HE performance.

Are you aware of the additional March deadline available for some courses at mature colleges? Are you considering applying?
Original post by Doonesbury
Not the AT... but congratulations on an amazing performance after your earlier difficulties! YOu do need to declare all your grades on UCAS (and on Cambridge's SAQ) but you can also include information about the situation using the ECF.

I think you'd be a competitive candidate given your Access HE performance.

Are you aware of the additional March deadline available for some courses at mature colleges? Are you considering applying?

My plan is to apply for the March deadline at Lucy Cavendish once the lecturers at my local college have sent me back my law personal statement draft with their opinion. They did however say I shouldn't put my A level grades down if I'm aiming so high so obviously I'm worried. I have the documentation for an extenuating circumstances form but honestly just writing in my A level grades feels like I'm severely limiting my chances of getting an interview. I'd email Lucy Cavendish again (having already written them to ask whether they'd consider my application given my Access to HE modules- which they said they would) but the moment I send them an email saying I have A level grades I'll have to put them on my application.
Reply 63
Original post by Genie412
My plan is to apply for the March deadline at Lucy Cavendish once the lecturers at my local college have sent me back my law personal statement draft with their opinion. They did however say I shouldn't put my A level grades down if I'm aiming so high so obviously I'm worried. I have the documentation for an extenuating circumstances form but honestly just writing in my A level grades feels like I'm severely limiting my chances of getting an interview. I'd email Lucy Cavendish again (having already written them to ask whether they'd consider my application given my Access to HE modules- which they said they would) but the moment I send them an email saying I have A level grades I'll have to put them on my application.

You *have* to declare them. It's part of both UCAS and Cambridge requirements to declare all grades. But it won't hinder you at all, if anything Lucy Cavendish can see the huge improvement you've had since you took your A-levels
Hi, If this thread is still open, I would like to ask a few questions. 1. I have A*AA at Alevels and I have an LLB from the University of London. I scored a 2:1 but unfortunately its not a high one. I am currently doing LLM program at Geneva where my gpa is 3.8. Does high achievement at the Masters program compensate for underperformance at the undergrad level? I am interested in applying for the HSPS Tripos. 2. I am a bit confused as to the distinction between affiliate and mature students. From what I understand, applicants aged 21 and over with an undergrad degree must apply as affiliate students? They cannot apply as mature students for the regular 3 year tripos? Any help will be appreciated!
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi everyone, I'm the new Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish. Lucy Cavendish focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm. If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

Hi,if this thread is still active,I would like to ask a few questions.
1)Will my 4 year old high school grades still be an obstacle in the admissions?I have some terrible high school grades,simply terrible.Went through an awful phase in life.But since I was always confident about getting a degree,I took A-levels again after 4 years and got A* A* A* A in Maths,Physics,Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.Can I still apply to Cambridge as a mature student?

2)Is it true that it is harder for International students to get into Cambridge?
Thank you for your time. :smile:
Original post by Haniya111
Hi, If this thread is still open, I would like to ask a few questions. 1. I have A*AA at Alevels and I have an LLB from the University of London. I scored a 2:1 but unfortunately its not a high one. I am currently doing LLM program at Geneva where my gpa is 3.8. Does high achievement at the Masters program compensate for underperformance at the undergrad level? I am interested in applying for the HSPS Tripos. 2. I am a bit confused as to the distinction between affiliate and mature students. From what I understand, applicants aged 21 and over with an undergrad degree must apply as affiliate students? They cannot apply as mature students for the regular 3 year tripos? Any help will be appreciated!

Hi there,

Typical offers for HSPS are A*AA at A Level, or 40–42 points out of 45 with 776 or 777 at Higher Level in the International Baccalaureate. As you also have an Undergraduate degree at 2.i or above, you can apply to be considered for the affiliate programme, which reduces the degree to 2 years. You would not be obliged to apply as an affiliate; the standard course may well be more appropriate. Please contact our Admisisons office if you would like to discuss your situation further.
Original post by shikhar152
Hi,if this thread is still active,I would like to ask a few questions.
1)Will my 4 year old high school grades still be an obstacle in the admissions?I have some terrible high school grades,simply terrible.Went through an awful phase in life.But since I was always confident about getting a degree,I took A-levels again after 4 years and got A* A* A* A in Maths,Physics,Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.Can I still apply to Cambridge as a mature student?

2)Is it true that it is harder for International students to get into Cambridge?
Thank you for your time. :smile:

Hi there,

We would not penalize you for low high school grades if you have taken A Levels and now meet the entrance requirements for your course. If you are applying for Medicine then we do have a quota on international places. In other subjects, students must all meet the same rigorous academic standards, regardless of nationality; and you will find all Colleges to be very internationally diverse communities.
Original post by niya_7002
Hello. I have applied to cambridge this month to study Theology, Religion, and Philosophy of Religion at Hughes Hall. I am wondering when mature students that have applied for second round application (1st March 2018 deadline) will receive an update email for possible interview or rejection? Many thanks

Hi there,

It is unlikely that you will hear anything until after the deadline of 1 March. We like to make interview decisions having seen the whole cohort of applications. We do try to give candidates at least 2 weeks notice of interview. You are welcome to contact the Admissions Office at Hughes Hall to confirm the date they will inform applicants of their interview dates.
Hi, I'm in a pickle regarding the transcript my teacher has to sign off. I'm currently an access student, but I did A-Levels four years ago. Because of not sitting GCSEs within the last 6 years, per the flowchart it says I need to submit a transcript. However, my professor has only been with me since September. Does he just show a transcript for the Access course, or all my level 3 qualifications? What exactly needs to be included? Me and my teacher are really confused. :s-smilie:
Reply 70
Original post by Dominicque2
Hi, I'm in a pickle regarding the transcript my teacher has to sign off. I'm currently an access student, but I did A-Levels four years ago. Because of not sitting GCSEs within the last 6 years, per the flowchart it says I need to submit a transcript. However, my professor has only been with me since September. Does he just show a transcript for the Access course, or all my level 3 qualifications? What exactly needs to be included? Me and my teacher are really confused. :s-smilie:

Not the AT, but if you've taken A-levels and GCSEs you don't need a transcript.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/transcripts_flowchart.pdf
Not the AT, but if you've taken A-levels and GCSEs you don't need a transcript.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/transcripts_flowchart.pdf

Am I looking at it wrong, or something? I haven't studied at university, I have taken UK school qualifications, and I haven't taken six or more GCSEs in the last three years. The answers flow toward me having to have a transcript. Don't they?

(The asterisk also says those applying to a Mature College will more likely than not have to submit a transcript.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Am I looking at it wrong, or something? I haven't studied at university, I have taken UK school qualifications, and I haven't taken six or more GCSEs in the last three years. The answers flow toward me having to have a transcript. Don't they?

It's poorly worded imho. The 3 year bit isn't the relevant part.

But if you think you need a transcript it would be one from your school not Access college.

(Edit, just noticed your edit too... So the transcript would be from your school :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
It's poorly worded imho. The 3 year bit isn't the relevant part.

But if you think you need a transcript it would be one from your school not Access college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recently my past college, in which I took my A-Levels sent me via E-Mail the module breakdowns with UMS marks, so I could complete the SAQ. Does that serve as a transcript, can I use that? It contains all the subjects I studied there. Does my Access teacher still need to sign it off? Anyone in fact? So nothing from my current course? This is all confusing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 74
Recently my past college, in which I took my A-Levels sent me via E-Mail the module breakdowns with UMS marks, so I could complete the SAQ. Does that serve as a transcript, can I use that? It contains all the subjects I studied there. Does my Access teacher still need to sign it off? Anyone in fact? So nothing from my current course? This is all confusing.

I suggest just emailing a couple of the mature colleges to be sure. :smile:
Reply 75
Hi,
My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere on TSR. I'm a Canadian student graduating this year with a (predicted) 3.7 out of 4.0. Would this be considered a 2:1 or a first? I'm interested in applying for BA Law with affiliated status. Thank you!
Reply 76
Original post by jem612
Hi,
My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere on TSR. I'm a Canadian student graduating this year with a (predicted) 3.7 out of 4.0. Would this be considered a 2:1 or a first? I'm interested in applying for BA Law with affiliated status. Thank you!

Assuming that's similar to the US, 3.7 GPA is a good 2:1. 4.0 is a First.

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/pre-departure/academics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm still not sure how to do this transcript, all the info I've seen is relating to High School students. I'm not sure whether to include the old qualifications from when I was 16, or just Level 3 qualifications and my Access now. Does my latest teacher sign it off on behalf of my past teachers? I've E-mailed twice, but no reply, yet. If they're on half-term that means I've got three days till the deadline. At least I've finished the SAQ.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 78
I'm still not sure how to do this transcript, all the info I've seen is relating to High School students. I'm not sure whether to include the old qualifications from when I was 16, or just Level 3 qualifications and my Access now. Does my latest teacher sign it off on behalf of my past teachers? I've E-mailed twice, but no reply, yet. If they're on half-term that means I've got three days till the deadline. At least I've finished the SAQ.

Call your Cambridge college and ask them. And then call up your old schools and chase them up.
Call your Cambridge college and ask them. And then call up your old schools and chase them up.

Would they be available this week? What would I ask my school, wouldn't it only be relevant to high school? Would they sign it off, how does it work out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending