Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Micro Debate: Do video games cause violence? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is video games, and whether they are too violent/whether they contribute to society becoming more violent. So feel free to voice your opinion here, and get involved in the debate!

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the game/who's playing it.

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought they did the opposite, seeing how they allow you to get rid of all that pent-up anger in a non harmful way towards a bunch of pixels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    I've always thought they did the opposite, seeing how they allow you to get rid of all that pent-up anger in a non harmful way towards a bunch of pixels.
    I'd agree with you, however there's always that one annoying level or stage in a game which can cause irritation to some
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They definitely romanticise it and make it more appealing, but I don't think they cause more violence.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and No, but it really depends on the person.

Firstly it depends on the genre of violence. I've played games since I was around 13 that were considered to be violent, like GTA, Saints Row, Driver etc. more the action/violence type and I was fine.

Then there are games like manhunt, which are horrible and banned. Those are the games that can cause people to go on rampages.

Secondly, its about the person. Whether they are mature enough to understand the differences between fantasy and fiction and consequences of their actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordLndr)
    I'd agree with you, however there's always that one annoying level or stage in a game which can cause irritation
    True, but it doesn't make you go out into the real world and commit a heinous act against strangers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    True, but it doesn't make you go out into the real world and commit a heinous act against strangers.
    Lmao, not necessarily.. violence isn't just an act against a stranger you know.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say that violence in a person is based on environment - a real life one at that.

Video games, no matter how realistic or historically accurate, aren't real. If this is always remembered and taken into account, then no, the game will not make a person violent.

It also depends on the person and their treats...some are more impressionable than others.

ReputationRep:
    Violence to objects, for sure. Serious violence though? I suppose it's possible they may serve as a catalyst to very rare, already dangerous personalities, but for the vast majority, no. Even in such a case, you can hardly blame the video game itself, and I am yet to see even one demonstration of some causality - correlation is immaterial.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would say yes but it's more due to the issue of minors having easy access to adult rated games, it's near meaningless now since most games are downloaded, then some people with mental issues take it too real.

ReputationRep:
    Studies have shown a strong correlation between violent game playing and increased display of aggressive behaviour. But ofc correlation is not the same as causation. Perhaps aggressive kids just seek out violent media

ReputationRep:
    I was quite aggressive before when I played RuneScape, but my behaviour calmed down once I quit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordLndr)
    Lmao, not necessarily.. violence isn't just an act against a stranger you know.
    I know, I was referring to acts like Adam Lanza shooting his way through an elementary school and killing 26 people, and how video games we're portrayed as a huge contribution to why he did it by the media afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Some of you may remember the Microdebating forum from a few years ago... if not, then welcome to a new debating style here on TSR, and one with a twist.

Every Monday a new topic will be put up for debate, and your challenge is to get involved in the discussion, but only using up to 140 characters in each post, this post aside. Multiple posts are allowed, but no more than 2 posts in a row per person, please.

This week's topic is video games, and whether they are too violent/whether they contribute to society becoming more violent. So feel free to voice your opinion here, and get involved in the debate!

Note: You can also suggest topics for later weeks if you like, just tag me into a post with your suggestion
    This is my field. Well not really since I am researching memory, but it still encompasses psychology.

Presently, the research on whether violent video games (obviously playing Hello Kitty will not affect levels of violence) is mixed. Some studies say violent video games do increase aggression while others conclude that it has small to negligible effects. However, a meta-analysis conducted in 2010 has become the kind of effective position on where the research lies (which can be viewed here: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nalytic_Review).

In simple terms, they pulled together all of the research data examining the effects of violent video games on aggression levels and some other factors to see if there was an overall effect. The most significant effect size was found for violent video game exposure and aggressive behaviour: r =0.24 (small-moderate). When corrected for gender and prior aggression however, the effect is reduced to r = 0.15 (small). The authors took this to mean that violent video games do have a causal effect on levels of aggressions in individuals. One of the authors later even said "...the debate has now been settled".

However, this has still not stopped other researchers from examining their results. Chris Ferguson and John Kilburn have crticised the methodology used and have said that even their "most accurate" effect size of r=0.15 is really small to not have any significant implications. Additionally, they took the data from the meta-analysis and controlled for risk factors such as depression and violence in the family, which reduced the effect to nearly "0".

So as you can see the researchers in this field kind of go back and forth criticising each other. However, from my experience and own research I believe that violent video games do not have any significant impact on levels of aggression or violence.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It's possible they might cause aggression which I've yet to see compelling evidence for but there's no reason to believe they override society's standard of being generally pacifistic.

ReputationRep:
    Do poems cause violence? I don't think it's fair to label a form of art as causing violence since not only can a limitless amount of things be expressed in any medium of art, but not all people react in the same way I could see The Starry Night and be compelled to punch somebody.

ReputationRep:
    For children, yes.
    It can take over their lives :hide:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do, should be more restrictions!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They make me short tempered and I barely get sucked into them, I rarely play but after a few TDMs on COD I’ll be raging and anything small can trigger my anger for the next 24hrs lol.. just imagine people who do get sucked into it though :afraid:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.