Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Micro Debate: Do video games cause violence? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, we've had desperate puritans trying to prove it for decades and they've still got nothing, violent crime has been falling during the same time violent video game use has shot up and when shooting game sales are at their highest, crime numbers tend to drop.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what happened with manhunt.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Because Hitler's used to play call of duty on the PS4 and the vikings used to play GTA 5

ReputationRep:
    No.

GTA V has sold over 80 million copies and is pretty violent. You would have thought we would have seen a worldwide crime wave following its release. We didn't, nothing changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    Yes that's what happened with manhunt.
    Easily one of the most boring, over hyped games in existence

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of a study ever definitively proving it so gonna go with no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Never heard of a study ever definitively proving it so gonna go with no.
    A study would never prove it, it would only support the hypothesis that video games increase levels of aggression. Trouble is, even though there are a few studies that conclude that video games do increase violence and aggression, there are the same number if not more studies that find the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    nope. I'm a huge gamer and I'm a pacifist
    All media is violent so it's an issue with the person and they need mental help
    Although admittedly the dark maze in Persona 5 annoyed me because an enemy causing fear then using Ghastly Wail straight after is BS

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.