ReputationRep:
    Durham or LSE
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggiemay1)
    Durham or LSE
    Do you want to live in London or in Durham? They're incredibly different cities.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is obviously the better one for law and likely better for networking. Durham is still a fantastic university and think you would do just as well there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Do you want to live in London or in Durham? They're incredibly different cities.
    Sure ! My heart says LSE but my purse says Durham 😑

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MizzSnazzter-)
    LSE is ... likely better for networking.
    I've never understood what students thought would be a 'networking' advantage of studying in London? Is it that they think they'll be commuting on the tube one day, get into conversation with a stranger, and suddenly a legal job offer will be theirs? Because I'm afraid that just isn't how these things work. (Quite besides the low likelihood of anybody talking to a stranger on the tube in London.)

If it's the thought that law firms might visit their university, then I would say that law firms will always visit a quality university like Durham. Besides, the desire to meet with law firms is only likely to strike a student a few times in a 3 year degree course. Why would one make that a pivotal decision making criteria?

OP - choose the university where you would prefer to live for the next three years. Your choice will make zero difference to your job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    I've never understood what students thought would be a 'networking' advantage of studying in London? Is it that they think they'll be commuting on the tube one day, get into conversation with a stranger, and suddenly a legal job offer will be theirs? Because I'm afraid that just isn't how these things work. (Quite besides the low likelihood of anybody talking to a stranger on the tube in London.)

If it's the thought that law firms might visit their university, then I would say that law firms will always visit a quality university like Durham. Besides, the desire to meet with law firms is only likely to strike a student a few times in a 3 year degree course. Why would one make that a pivotal decision making criteria?

OP - choose the university where you would prefer to live for the next three years. Your choice will make zero difference to your job prospects.
    When I say networking I mean that being based in London you are able to attend lots of law firm events and networking / application events they run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Any social events which do take place, such as those run by Aspiring Solicitors or ELSA, occur in London. Whether there is any advantage to knowing other applicants or the other lawyers is another question, but there is a reason that networking is often mentioned by many. And why LinkedIn exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggiemay1)
    Sure ! My heart says LSE but my purse says Durham 😑
    Purely based on that statement alone, I advise following your heart. Take into account the more practical considerations and implications of the decision too (within reason).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.