Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Graduate entry medicine. One year longer, a bit more debt student, a bit more competitive. I think compared to the downsides of doing medicine then switching out, those downsides are far more favourable.

You have also had 3 years to mature and you might even decide that its not medicine nor research you're after, so there's actually a small advantage to delaying the decision too.

Simply can't agree with that. In particular the idea of doing 6 years clinical medicine when you aren't actually wanting to do it - that would be soul destroying.

There will of course be a point where it is worth just doing medicine even if you aren't 100% sure (is anyone ever?) But I'd say the level of certainty needed is around the 80-85% mark. A fair 50:50 and i think the balance is easily on the side of a biomedical degree.
    The arguments you make are completely valid it's just I feel there isn't a right answer to this one. I'm just on the side that feels it's safer to do medicine and make a decision once you've been exposed to it all.

And GEM is quite a bit more competitive than normal entry... If you didn't like academia in your biomed degree and want to do GEM, good luck getting a good enough grade in the biomed degree to be competitive for GEM when you're not liking the course you're on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bow Tie)
    The arguments you make are completely valid it's just I feel there isn't a right answer to this one. I'm just on the side that feels it's safer to do medicine and make a decision once you've been exposed to it all.

And GEM is quite a bit more competitive than normal entry... If you didn't like academia in your biomed degree and want to do GEM, good luck getting a good enough grade in the biomed degree to be competitive for GEM when you're not liking the course you're on.
    Biomed is not so different from preclinical medicine, especially at the more academic institutions (which you will presumably be aiming for). If you can't get a good grade in biomed then you'll probably be struggling for the first 3 years med school too.

And you could run into the same problem with medicine - whilst iBScs are mostly similar to biomed and are mostly graded independently i think, I don't think they all are and you do need to pass the rest of med school to even get to that stage. Furthermore, failing or dropping out of the clinical medicine degree will not look good on your record, even if you do manage to get a 2.1 BSc out of it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Biomed is not so different from preclinical medicine, especially at the more academic institutions (which you will presumably be aiming for). If you can't get a good grade in biomed then you'll probably be struggling for the first 3 years med school too.

And you could run into the same problem with medicine - whilst iBScs are mostly similar to biomed and are mostly graded independently i think, I don't think they all are and you do need to pass the rest of med school to even get to that stage. Furthermore, failing or dropping out of the clinical medicine degree will not look good on your record, even if you do manage to get a 2.1 BSc out of it.
    Tbh, from experience with flatmates and classmates who have done biomed as a degree, 3 years biomed is less difficult than the first year of pharmacy based on their views, so finding biomed very difficult in theory doesnt bode well for medicine.

conversely, whatever was learnt from biomed can be applied so that is good. also as someone who flopped my A levels (BCC) and graduated 2% off a first in a Pharmacy degree (Master's degree in UK, which is equivalent of Pharmacy Doctor (PharmD) in Stateside), I for some reason found A levels harder than my degree or my pre-reg exam (which you need 70% overall and in individual sections just to pass) so there is a chance struggling in biomed may bode well for someone doing med.

ReputationRep:
    in the Uk the primary medical Qualification to get registration with the GMC is a double bachelors degree Bachelor of Medicien and Bachelor Surgery variously abbreviated to MBBS , MBCHB etc etc

with in the primary medicla course there is the option ( or in a few case a requirement) to 'intercalate' i.e. undertake further studies in on area for a year , which elads to the award of a third in number Bachelors degree ( marked as per any normal bachelors) , some peopel who intercalate and do well / show an aptitude for research are invited to stay on and study for a reserch based masters of Doctorate before returnign to complete their undergradate medicla studies the so called ' MB PhD ' - as these individuals complete after 7 or so years with a primary medical degree and a research degree

in the UK there is an MD degree , it's a slightly more practice based post registration doctorate than doing a PhD post registration ( and that usually means after the foundation programme , although some peopel doign AFP might start on their doctorate whether MD or PhD while still a Foundation Doctor

in the US model MD is the primary registration degree and requires a US style pick and mix , with the correct pick and mix , bachelors for entry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.