Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should students be allowed to skip a year of school? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel it's a cost-effective idea? Beneficial?

Example: a profoundly gifted individual being able to enter (say) Year 9 after completing year 7.
    • Very Important Poster

If cost is your concern then why not just remove education?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    Isn't that just a gap year? You're allowed to skip a year. I swear!? I don't know about high school or primary tho. Can you tell me, please?
    A gap year is a year between years of schooling. What the OP is talking about is missing a year of school. So for example, going from grade 4 to 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    A gap year is a year between years of schooling. What the OP is talking about is missing a year of school. So for example, going from grade 4 to 6.
    Ohhh thanks for clearing that up..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea just for the individual. Being stuck doing work way below your intellectual level for so many years is incredibly tedious and must contribute to so many gifted people dropping out of the school system.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, it's risky and depends on your temperament. I think it would be better to stretch those students within class (maybe setting them research projects outside the curriculum). My brother and I were both considered for skipping he did and I didn't (I don't know how they decided). He was pretty impatient in a class where he thought he knew everything whereas I was the sort of quiet person who likes doing work they completely understand so I didn't get frustrated if the curriculum wasn't stretching me very much.

I think we should change how we approach "gifted" children, I use quotes because basically all of use level-out by the time we hit university and are just comfortably above average rather than truly exceptional. I think skipping shouldn't happen but extension activities should be provided or more time given to weaker subject areas. Your teachers would have to work together to provide the best extension work.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I read cases of young children doing GCSEs, A-Levels and university degrees and I wonder if this is best thing. It may be that they are capable intellectually but in terms of personal development, you don't get the normal interaction from attending classes with peers of your own age.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends did this when he was in primary school, skipping year 4 out completely. His birthday is on September 1st and went from being the oldest in his year to the youngest. He graduated this year with a First.

I think in early years it is definitely something that should be considered for the more gifted students, but probably not something I would consider for secondary school age groups.

ReputationRep:
    I think skipping just one year of school might be okay, but as a general rule I don't think this is the best way to stretch the most capable pupils. A ten year old might be so gifted in a particular subject that they can attend university and cope with the academic rigour in a class full of people twice their age - but just because they're academically advanced doesn't mean they are advanced in any other way (e.g. socially, emotionally etc.)

I think it's much better for schools to select pupils based on ability, and for classes to be subsequently segregated by ability. So this ten year old can study the subject to the academic level that is appropriate to him, but it will still be in a classroom full of other ten year olds, with a level of expectation and pressure that is appropriate for a ten year old.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.