Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey All,

I am just enquiring if I am counted as an independent student. I will be 25 prior to the first day of the next academic year (2017-2018).

I've seen mixed answers about requiring estrangement from parents or marriage, but is simply being over 25 enough to qualify?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Bicyclepump,

Yes if you turn 25 prior to start of the academic year then you would automatically be assessed as an independent student and we wouldn't look for any estrangement or financial evidence from your parents.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi Bicyclepump,

Yes if you turn 25 prior to start of the academic year then you would automatically be assessed as an independent student and we wouldn't look for any estrangement or financial evidence from your parents.

Thanks

Thanks Laura! If I may ask a follow up question please;

I started university being assessed through student finance NI. Now as an independent student my home address is London. Should I be applying still through student finance NI or apply with Student finance England?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Bicyclepump

Is this going to be your permanent address or are you still in London for the purpose of study?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miriam SFE)
    Hi Bicyclepump

Is this going to be your permanent address or are you still in London for the purpose of study?

Thanks.
    This is my permanent address, I will not be returning to Northern Ireland and will be staying in London after graduation from Uni.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bicyclepump)
    This is my permanent address, I will not be returning to Northern Ireland and will be staying in London after graduation from Uni.

Thanks
    Hi Bicyclepump,

You would apply via Student Finance England if you are residing permanently in London. The link below is the application form:

http://bit.ly/2tAXVNU

Warm regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bicyclepump)
    Thanks Laura! If I may ask a follow up question please;

I started university being assessed through student finance NI. Now as an independent student my home address is London. Should I be applying still through student finance NI or apply with Student finance England?
    Hi Bicyclepump

Are you going to be studying the same course or a new course while living in London?

Thanks Catherine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.