Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend troubles Watch

Announcements

So me and my boyfriend have been together for almost a year and a half. Within that we've lived together and never broken up until now.
    A few weeks back we both decided it was best if I moved back to my mothers house as the stress of us constantly being around each other was getting too much. It was all going great until another petty argument starts (I'm not sure of what it was over, it wasn't anything serious) and it all goes tits up. He simply says he cannot do this anymore and wants to break up- all of this being over text. Since this I've messaged him daily to make sure he's okay but he ends up threatening to block me if I message again.
    He always tells me he wants space and I'm trying my hardest to give him that..it's just extremely hard when we've gone from living together to him ignoring everything I say. It's been just under a week since this all started and I'm struggling with all of it.
    We have both promised each other to not sleep/see anyone else whilst we're on this break, we've also promised to not delete any of the pictures we have together on social media. Isn't this a good sign? I mean if he wanted to cut all ties everything would have gone by now.
    I'm really unsure on what to do as I definitely want to re-kindle our relationship. I love him dearly but I wish he'd just tell me how he feels about it all.
    Any advice on this would be appreciated, I need to know what to do next.
    Stop messaging him daily or continue this until he comes to terms with everything?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you wasting your time on him? How are you going to cope when you're both married, living in the same house? You're going to keep moving back to your mum after one petty arguement? I don't think y'all are ready to be in a committed relationship. He wants space? Space from what? I think you should be glad it's over because it's quite messed up.

ReputationRep:
    i think just give him a little break then if you two miss each other and your meant to be then u will find yourselves back together if not then leave it
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So me and my boyfriend have been together for almost a year and a half. Within that we've lived together and never broken up until now.
    A few weeks back we both decided it was best if I moved back to my mothers house as the stress of us constantly being around each other was getting too much. It was all going great until another petty argument starts (I'm not sure of what it was over, it wasn't anything serious) and it all goes tits up. He simply says he cannot do this anymore and wants to break up- all of this being over text. Since this I've messaged him daily to make sure he's okay but he ends up threatening to block me if I message again.
    He always tells me he wants space and I'm trying my hardest to give him that..it's just extremely hard when we've gone from living together to him ignoring everything I say. It's been just under a week since this all started and I'm struggling with all of it.
    We have both promised each other to not sleep/see anyone else whilst we're on this break, we've also promised to not delete any of the pictures we have together on social media. Isn't this a good sign? I mean if he wanted to cut all ties everything would have gone by now.
    I'm really unsure on what to do as I definitely want to re-kindle our relationship. I love him dearly but I wish he'd just tell me how he feels about it all.
    Any advice on this would be appreciated, I need to know what to do next.
    Stop messaging him daily or continue this until he comes to terms with everything?
    Space imo means exactly that leave him alone and get on with your own stuff. Imo you should at least prepare yourself for it being the end, but he just doesnt have the guts to tell you. Meanwhile you are going to be left dangling and hoping for months?

If I were you then id decide what you want for yourself and accept that maybe you arent the perfect match and its run its course. Is it really worth fighting for?

Has he told you how long the break is to last? imo if the break ends then it should be just to have a chat to see if theres any prospect of saving things plus both being willing to change to repair the relationship. This often turns out to be lip service.

As you say you want to mend it then you have to stop the bickering and find a way to be more compatible. See if he lives up to it. Tbh you should be messaging him at all, its a form of nagging and not free space. Dont waste too much time and energy on it take a breaj and have a think.

ReputationRep:
    Stop contact with him. Clearly something is wrong for a break to have been suggested in the first place.

Once you have had some time apart then you will have a more objective view of the relationship, rather than being overwhelmed by the emotion of not wanting to lose him (which is a totally understandable initial reaction). I would prepare yourself that the break may be permanent.

If, after some time apart, you still want to be together then you can try and resolve the issues and work it out (and hopefully be stronger for it, as you will know you don't want to lose each other). However, you may also find that time apart may make you realise that you are not as compatible as you thought and you will hopefully be over the initial painful period and it will be easier to walk away if you both decide to break-up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.