Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did your parents support you when it comes to education? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Before you begin to read my post: I'm a non-Muslim Arab woman living in a very Arab conservative society.)

It's hard to keep motivating yourself. Sometimes you need others to stand by your side and support you.

I just wanted to share part of my story with you. I'm also looking for some kind words and advice.

I am 28 years old, and soon I will start my master's degree in a UK university. I will be paying for everything.

My family didn't show me enough support with regards to my education. I always did good in school, but when I was 14 I suffered from really bad depression. I could never study hard as I used to do ever since. In my final year in High school I didn't study for my exams enough. It was like a miracle when I was the top student in my class and got into the best university in my country.

My depression didn't stop with that miracle. Even at university I couldn't study as I used to do. And surprisingly I graduated with the 4th highest GPS in my class.

I always wanted to recover from my depression and anxiety. If I can't then at least I want them to stop affecting my motivation to work hard. I don't think I'm a lazy person. I just need to control my emotions. I think I can do much better without them.

I think I'm drifting away from the main reason why I started this thread. Although I did good enough to survive in school and university and got a job, I don't think my family supported me enough.

I was ok with the lack of support, but when I got a full scholarship to do my master's in Japan on 2013, my family didn't want me to go.

In 2014 I published my first novel. My family were really unsupported.

In 2017 I tried to apply for the same scholarship but all hell broke loose when I told my family. They ganged up against me just in order to prevent me from APPLYING. My father even disowned me (But I still live with them lol. He said something like "you are not my daughter any longer!" He was happy when I decided not to apply though.

My family really hurt me. I dont want their support any more. I just want them to let me be.

Anyways. Please share your stories here. I would love to hear your advice too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyukoo)
    (Before you begin to read my post: I'm a non-Muslim Arab woman living in a very Arab conservative society.)

It's hard to keep motivating yourself. Sometimes you need others to stand by your side and support you.

I just wanted to share part of my story with you. I'm also looking for some kind words and advice.

I am 28 years old, and soon I will start my master's degree in a UK university. I will be paying for everything.

My family didn't show me enough support with regards to my education. I always did good in school, but when I was 14 I suffered from really bad depression. I could never study hard as I used to do ever since. In my final year in High school I didn't study for my exams enough. It was like a miracle when I was the top student in my class and got into the best university in my country.

My depression didn't stop with that miracle. Even at university I couldn't study as I used to do. And surprisingly I graduated with the 4th highest GPS in my class.

I always wanted to recover from my depression and anxiety. If I can't then at least I want them to stop affecting my motivation to work hard. I don't think I'm a lazy person. I just need to control my emotions. I think I can do much better without them.

I think I'm drifting away from the main reason why I started this thread. Although I did good enough to survive in school and university and got a job, I don't think my family supported me enough.

I was ok with the lack of support, but when I got a full scholarship to do my master's in Japan on 2013, my family didn't want me to go.

In 2014 I published my first novel. My family were really unsupported.

In 2017 I tried to apply for the same scholarship but all hell broke loose when I told my family. They ganged up against me just in order to prevent me from APPLYING. My father even disowned me (But I still live with them lol. He said something like "you are not my daughter any longer!" He was happy when I decided not to apply though.

My family really hurt me. I dont want their support any more. I just want them to let me be.

Anyways. Please share your stories here. I would love to hear your advice too.
    Wow that sounds horrible, why don't they support you? Do they not want you to succeed or is it some gender prejudice in your culture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    Wow that sounds horrible, why don't they support you? Do they not want you to succeed or is it some gender prejudice in your culture?
    Yes it is some sort of gender prejudice. They also worry about their 'reputation' in my hometown. In fact in my hometown it's still not acceptable for women to travel alone, but some people bite their tongues and let their daughters go. Education is more important than their reputation, whether they liked it or not. My family is very conservative but my cousin is going to the UK, which is why they will let me go this time.

ReputationRep:
    You should listen to your father for he knows what's best.

ReputationRep:
    Huh?!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyukoo)
    Yes it is some sort of gender prejudice. They also worry about their 'reputation' in my hometown. In fact in my hometown it's still not acceptable for women to travel alone, but some people bite their tongues and let their daughters go. Education is more important than their reputation, whether they liked it or not. My family is very conservative but my cousin is going to the UK, which is why they will let me go this time.
    Honestly ignore them, it is in your best interest to do what you like, if that is education then go for it. You will make friends and it will be fine lol, I dont get why this isnt adding to their reputation you are going to a good uni.

(Original post by The Quran)
    You should listen to your father for he knows what's best.
    Typical response of misogynistic, sexist and ignorant muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    Typical response of misogynistic, sexist and ignorant muslim.
    Name:  Lol.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  12.7 KB

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.