Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liberal Muslim AMA Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarhanHalim)
    Lol how is it not dangerous?
    It's not like Chicago or something, with people getting gunned down all the time, and it's not like Lambeth, which is gang central. The only thing there is is loads of roadmen, and a few people that you need be to be careful about. If you mind your business it's alright. Don't pay attention to articles like this:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7687486.html
    It's bs imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    Why not?
    I just think it should be between a man and a woman and it should be in order to grow a family. It's not something I care about too much anyway, I'm not going to tell someone don't get married, it's just not something I agree with

ReputationRep:
    The hijab I agree with, it's good to protect modesty but it shouldn't be forced on anyone and there shouldn't be any pressure to wear it.
    Why don't men wear it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Why don't men wear it?
    Men have to be modest in other ways like wearing full sleeved shirts and full trousers. Women's hair is considered more attractive so it would be a good thing to cover it. Shouldn't be any pressure though

ReputationRep:
    Women's hair is considered more attractive so it would be a good thing to cover it.
    How? Islam appears to claim that men cannot be expected to control themselves, which I find quite insulting and an attempt to absolve them of responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    How? Islam appears to claim that men cannot be expected to control themselves, which I find quite insulting and an attempt to absolve them of responsibility.
    Yeah but I think overall men tend to be more aggressive when it comes to sexual situations, probably why the vast majority of rapes are committed by men. Men should control themselves but it's always good to be modest imo, that goes for both genders

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I hunk overall men tend to be more aggressive when it comes to sexual situations, probably why the vast majority of rapes are committed by men. Men should control themselves but it's always good to be modest imo, that goes for both genders
    If Muslim men cannot stop themselves from sexually assaulting a woman because they see a woman's hair, then they need urgent mental help.

ReputationRep:
    If Muslim men cannot stop themselves from sexually assaulting a woman because they see a woman's hair, then they need urgent mental help.
    not just Muslim men, rape is high in places like the UK and US as well. I think the hijab can go a long way towards preventing rape

ReputationRep:
    not just Muslim men, rape is high in places like the UK and US as well. I think the hijab can go a long way towards preventing rape
    Never mind what I said earlier. Not cool.

Hijab cannot and will not even remotely help prevent rape.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    'I'm a Liberal... ...I don't agree with gay marriage'

Something's a bit off... ...can't tell what it is...

ReputationRep:
    people don't care that much about hair :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I think overall men tend to be more aggressive when it comes to sexual situations, probably why the vast majority of rapes are committed by men. Men should control themselves but it's always good to be modest imo, that goes for both genders
    Are you invoking the argument that men are natural-born rapists, or are more inclined to commit such acts, that are to be tamed?

ReputationRep:
    Less conservative, like I believe in gay rights, women's full equality, don't believe in death penalty for apostates, don't believe in excessive punishments like stoning or beheading, have a strong stance against extremism and terrorism. Many Muslims are like me but they don't get heard as much compared to very conservative ones
    Thats pretty non-muslim to be honest, cant be a muslim and support gay rights. The rest of the things seem fair. Womens full equality is also already in Islam anyway, those who say its not have it mixed up with culture. e.g. in the islamic period women rode horses, fought in armies, owned land etc. more than the west did in those days.

ReputationRep:
    In Islam there is the assumption that men can't control themselves, so women must cover-up. I find it disgraceful to say that a woman should do anything to prevent being sexually assaulted / raped. The fault is always with the aggressor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    Womens full equality is also already in Islam anyway, those who say its not have it mixed up with culture. e.g. in the islamic period women rode horses, fought in armies, owned land etc. more than the west did in those days.
    Really? The Quran is fairly explicit, for example:

(Original post by https://quran.com/4/11)
    Allah instructs you concerning your children: for the male, what is equal to the share of two females.
    (Original post by https://quran.com/2/282)
    And bring to witness two witnesses from among your men. And if there are not two men [available], then a man and two women from those whom you accept as witnesses - so that if one of the women errs, then the other can remind her.
    It blatantly values women less than men. If this is the true word of your god, then he's a misogynist.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal young practising Muslim from South East London Ask me anything
    What would you say to extremists that find justification for their actions in the Quran?

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't. It has regulations for both genders.

Regarding controlling themselves, this is not the case. The idea is to prevent immoral acts between a male and female. One of the ways in which this occurs is by a women's beauty, and therefore are ordered to remain modest.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo111)
    One of the ways in which this occurs is by a women's beauty, and therefore are ordered to remain modest.
    Is beauty not in the eye of the beholder?

ReputationRep:
    Is beauty not in the eye of the beholder?
    Beauty is seen in both parties. And hence, you see regulations for both men and women.

As humans are fallible and therefore will not always look down, Islam ordered a secondary boundary which is the hijab or covering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.