Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liberal Muslim AMA Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I said underlines.

Which would be sexist, wouldn't it?! (Not that I agree with you - women get the worse deal IMO)

Women are not treated as equal to men in Islam. Modern society isn't perfect, but it does try to constantly improve. Islam doesn't.
    Yeah islam never said women and men are equal. it never will. It knows that women and men are different and have different roles to play. Science confirms this, men and women have physiological and biological differences.

Compared to the west, as you can search and find by many sources. Women in islam were given more rights centuries before women in the west. that includes education, employment, law, divorce, property, fighting etc.

All the crap that happens now in Islamic countries isnt because of the religion, its because of the culture of those countries. Take Afganistan, where the terrorists say girls cant go to school, forced marriage etc. thats forbidden in islam, women need consent, they have a right to education etc. Culture is predominate in all these eastern parts of the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)
    Which comes first? The country or your faith?
    Few know that love of one's country is part of one's faith!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarhanHalim)
    Liberal young practising Muslim from South East London Ask me anything
    It is a misfortune of the Muslim world today that no worldly punishment for apostasy and blasphemy, women's rights and freedom of religion are classed as being 'liberal' or 'moderate' Islam as opposed to the true Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    Yeah islam never said women and men are equal. it never will. It knows that women and men are different and have different roles to play. Science confirms this, men and women have physiological and biological differences.

Compared to the west, as you can search and find by many sources. Women in islam were given more rights centuries before women in the west. that includes education, employment, law, divorce, property, fighting etc.

All the crap that happens now in Islamic countries isnt because of the religion, its because of the culture of those countries. Take Afganistan, where the terrorists say girls cant go to school, forced marriage etc. thats forbidden in islam, women need consent, they have a right to education etc. Culture is predominate in all these eastern parts of the world.
    You are talking about centuries ago. I'm sure chopping off the hands of a thief were quite "progressive" back then too. Let's face it, Islam itself is one of the most sexist religion in the world that oppresses women and treat them unequally. A strict reading of the Quran will show exactly that.

If you want to claim that Islam has nothing to do with the oppression of women in the 21st century, then you have to explain how in the Quran:

1) A testimony of a man is worth the testimony of two women
    2) Husbands are a degree above their wives in status
    3) Allah has made men "superior" than women

It is hard to separate Islam and sexism when you have women described as a lesser being in the Quran, just as it is hard to separate intolerance from the Quran when you have non-believers and apostates being described as the worst creatures in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    Thats pretty non-muslim to be honest, cant be a muslim and support gay rights.
    So you can't be a muslim and support/treat homosexuals on an equal level as heterosexuals? In order to be a muslim you cannot want equal treatment for them?

ReputationRep:
    I think the hijab can go a long way towards preventing rape
    Rape has nothing to do with what the individual is wearing. Women wearing hijabs and burqas are raped daily. Children are raped daily. In early 2000s the rape of babies became prevalent in South Africa. Would the hijab have saved them?

ReputationRep:
    i
    I think it's a combination of many factors, including some genetic factors and environmental factors. But living a gay lifestyle is a choice of course
    You are a walking contradiction

ReputationRep:
    Liberalism and Islam are oxymorons, depending on the extremity. A lot of your beliefs aren't really in line with those typically espoused by the Islamic faith, so this does beg the question of what actually constitutes calling oneself a Muslim. If you can selectively follow parts of your religion whilst ignoring others, I'd argue that you aren't really following that religion at all. Anyway, you may be liberal for a 'Muslim', but you are not a liberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigManMC)
    i

You are a walking contradiction
    No it's literally scientific consensus that homosexuality is a combination of genetic and environmental factors, and living any lifestyle is a choice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.