Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi,
    Just a month ago, while I was at sixth form, still in the close comfort of my friendship circle I couldn't wait until university. However, since leaving I cannot stop thinking about uni and I guess the fact that I'm away for A-level results day, with no internet connection and minimal phone reception means that I won't even know what uni I'm attending until early September makes it much worse.
    Thinking about the size of it, costs, independence, making friends, the course, uncertainty over accommodation is stressing me out to the point where some nights I struggle to fall asleep and my palms sweat just thinking about it.
    I'm quite anxious but never show it and being in the same friendship circle for 7 years has 100% helped, however, all of this is going away and I'll be alone which is scary af.
    Most people may be feeling similar just not to the same extent as me, I'm more worried about starting uni than my results !
    Despite trying to organise myself as much as possible before starting I fear either I won't cope with the stress or people will judge and/or reject me in their group, such as the people in my flat or people on the course or people in the clubs I want to join.
    It's weird because despite normally being a outgoing person, knowing everyone in sixth-form, being a team leader at my p/t job, going out 2/3 times a week the fact of being so far away from home with many people my age who could judge is so worrying.
    How did you settle into university during freshers / is it a daunting experience and do you have any tips on how to settle in ?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm in exactly the same position as you but the main thing is not to stress about it because uni is supposed to be one of the best times of anyone's life! You'll most likely start opening up and becoming more confident when you meet your flatmates and your course buddies. The thing is, just don't worry. It's the fear of the unknown that you're stressing about but honestly I bet you'll make some amazing friends and you'll have a great time - look for the positives, don't focus on the negatives because then you'll only scare yourself. Everything will be fine!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    Just a month ago, while I was at sixth form, still in the close comfort of my friendship circle I couldn't wait until university. However, since leaving I cannot stop thinking about uni and I guess the fact that I'm away for A-level results day, with no internet connection and minimal phone reception means that I won't even know what uni I'm attending until early September makes it much worse.
    Thinking about the size of it, costs, independence, making friends, the course, uncertainty over accommodation is stressing me out to the point where some nights I struggle to fall asleep and my palms sweat just thinking about it.
    I'm quite anxious but never show it and being in the same friendship circle for 7 years has 100% helped, however, all of this is going away and I'll be alone which is scary af.
    Most people may be feeling similar just not to the same extent as me, I'm more worried about starting uni than my results !
    Despite trying to organise myself as much as possible before starting I fear either I won't cope with the stress or people will judge and/or reject me in their group, such as the people in my flat or people on the course or people in the clubs I want to join.
    It's weird because despite normally being a outgoing person, knowing everyone in sixth-form, being a team leader at my p/t job, going out 2/3 times a week the fact of being so far away from home with many people my age who could judge is so worrying.
    How did you settle into university during freshers / is it a daunting experience and do you have any tips on how to settle in ?
    Thank you
    Hey,

It's completely normal you feel this way, University is a big jump but it really isn't as scary as what you think. I felt the same as you 2 years ago when I first started Hallam, but feel relieved when I tell you that the nerves don't last a long time! Try getting in touch with your flat mates and/or course mates before September, they usually have Facebook groups where you can speak to each other and I found this really helped me. Fresher's week is a lot of fun and the best place to meet people and form friendships, so make sure to attend as many events as you can!!

Everyone is in the same boat during the first few weeks of Uni... so try not to panic you're not alone. If for any reason you do still feel like you're struggling after Freshers week, there is usually a strong students support team at most Universities that will help you with any difficulties you face.

Enjoy your time as a student, and like the above poster said - focus on the positives.

Hope this helps and Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be really scary moving to university but it really wasn't that bad. Just think of it a day at a time:
    Day 1 - meet your flat mates and watch a film or something
    Day 2 - venture out to the food shops
    etc etc

Also join societies. You'll find plenty of likeminded people. Some societies will have loads of members, more obscure societies may only have about 10 members. You'll soon gain lots of friends and be suprised how many of them you'll bump into on campus!

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.