Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people usually find bar/pub jobs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should I literally spend a whole day walking around town, going to each bar and hand them my CV?

also what are people's thoughts on applying for jobs via gumtree? (was told about this, but thought this might be full of scams)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunnndoner)
    Should I literally spend a whole day walking around town, going to each bar and hand them my CV?

also what are people's thoughts on applying for jobs via gumtree? (was told about this, but thought this might be full of scams)
    I'd say it's worth dropping your CV into local pubs/bars, certainly. You could also look online to see if they have a recruitment site, especially for chains such as Weatherspoons who may advertise their vacancies on their website.

In terms of gumtree, I've never used it for work myself, but someone else may be able to give you an answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunnndoner)
    You can do this, but make sure you ask to speak to the manager and try to sell yourself in person. Makes much more of an impression than just a piece of paper, especially for a job that you don't really need any particular qualifications for. Look presentable and be confident.

Also see if any of your friends or family know someone who can get you in somewhere. That's usually the quickest way. Could be someone who runs a place or just works there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.