sammagnus2016
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I've been looking at uni courses and I'm not sure between Classics/Classical Civilisations and Ancient History.

Firstly I'd love if someone could give me some advice on the differences or just in general about the courses that help me make my mind up. I'm also interested in future job prospects. I don't know exactly what I want to do, but I've thought about practicing law or becoming a secondary school history teacher (I think that's the right one, I'm in a three-tier system so I don't know, but for older students, not very little kids).
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sammagnus2016)
Hi, I've been looking at uni courses and I'm not sure between Classics/Classical Civilisations and Ancient History.

Firstly I'd love if someone could give me some advice on the differences or just in general about the courses that help me make my mind up. I'm also interested in future job prospects. I don't know exactly what I want to do, but I've thought about practicing law or becoming a secondary school history teacher (I think that's the right one, I'm in a three-tier system so I don't know, but for older students, not very little kids).
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Why dont you just compare the course content for both?

History is history.

Classics will be History, Literature and almost certainly Greek and Latin.

It will make no difference for law.
I imagine classics offers more scope for teacher as you could teach Latin (rare) plus maybe even go across to literature if needed.
Mred576
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what i am aware, Ancient History seems to focus purely on events, with the oppertunity to study Latin, Greek and sometimes Archeology.
Classical Studies also places alot of emphesis on literature and art, so will place focus on the works of Homer, Ovid and Virgil. It really comes down to whether you prefer to focus mainly on the history, or whether you can appreciate the impact of Art and Literature to the Ancient World.
I hope you find this somewhat helpful, i am hoping to study Ancient History in September, and i too had to research the difference after doing Classical Civilisations at A-level
sammagnus2016
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mred576)
From what i am aware, Ancient History seems to focus purely on events, with the oppertunity to study Latin, Greek and sometimes Archeology.
Classical Studies also places alot of emphesis on literature and art, so will place focus on the works of Homer, Ovid and Virgil. It really comes down to whether you prefer to focus mainly on the history, or whether you can appreciate the impact of Art and Literature to the Ancient World.
I hope you find this somewhat helpful, i am hoping to study Ancient History in September, and i too had to research the difference after doing Classical Civilisations at A-level
Thanks, it's also great to know that I'm not the only one who wasn't sure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (249)
57.37%
I don't have everything I need (185)
42.63%

Watched Threads