Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone due to start on the nursing apprentiship this September. If so I would like to hear how it goes. Weather earning while you learn works well, weather it's a viable option for people to career change to such a scheme. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BNisbet)
    Is anyone due to start on the nursing apprentiship this September. If so I would like to hear how it goes. Weather earning while you learn works well, weather it's a viable option for people to career change to such a scheme. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    The new nursing apprenticeships are not intended for those who do not currently work in healthcare. It is intended for those who have significant experience as a HCA or auxiliary nurse to enable them to continue with their role whilst studying, with the support of their manager. It is not recommended that people rely on being able to start working as a HCA and assuming that their manager will agree to putting them through the apprenticeship programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BNisbet)
    If you currently work as a HCA I'm assuming you'd need quite a bit of experience before you are approved for the apprenticeship. If you're working as a HCA for the NHS (with less than a years experience) you may consider the Open University option. With the Open U you now have to self fund as secondment is no longer an option but you will need approval from your manager to facilitate a mentor for you to oversee your learning.

ReputationRep:
    The trust I work for hasn't started the apprenticeships yet, I'm starting with open university in September to adult nursing, was told by the learning facilitators we would be told of any news on apprenticeships if it was going ahead, as there was talk of moving the open uni students over to the nursing apprenticeship.

Would love to know if anybody else has heard anything that works for an NHS trust?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pennyjoann)
    The trust I work for hasn't started the apprenticeships yet, I'm starting with open university in September to adult nursing, was told by the learning facilitators we would be told of any news on apprenticeships if it was going ahead, as there was talk of moving the open uni students over to the nursing apprenticeship.

Would love to know if anybody else has heard anything that works for an NHS trust?
    They're starting in September at my trust but I believe you need significant experience as HCA in order to do it

ReputationRep:
    At my trust you have to have level 2 in maths and English and have at least a years service with the trust as a HCA.

And in regards to ops question I believe working and learning at the same time is a very viable option NHS trusts have been doing it with open university for a while now and it is done over 4 years rather than 3, the apprenticeship will be done very similar I think it's just the funding that's different. But like other posters have mentioned you need to have experience as a HCA and work at a trust that is doing the apprenticeship scheme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.