The Student Room Group

Name when signing up on UCAS enquiry/problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HoneyDew.Melon
Hey, thank you! :smile: I'm only 17! I will be 18 next year. I do get what you mean! It isn't EVEN a BIGGIE anyways? Since it isn't the spelling that i'm changing, it's only the space. But, you know? You've got to follow the rules. Because I do not want to catch as being fraud. As much I would like using my full name without a space, I've just go to live with it for now? However?? Do you think i will be catch fraud if i spell my name without a space?

It's not fraud. Fraud is intentional deceipt (i.e. saying your name is John when it's not).

Some people will tell you I'm wrong, and that space will make so much difference - listen to me now; it won't. Give them your name without a space, as you would like it formatted; it's your name after all!

You can update your passport as soon as you turn 18 so you're not dealing with dodgy formatting, which will obviously be before you go to University. Even if you didn't update it, no one will care; you're not using another name, you're using your own with a slight formatting problem. If Abc Def is your first name, they absolutely will class it as a middle name - you simply must write Abcdef for the system to capture it correctly.
Original post by IWMTom
It's not fraud. Fraud is intentional deceipt (i.e. saying your name is John when it's not).

Some people will tell you I'm wrong, and that space will make so much difference - listen to me now; it won't. Give them your name without a space, as you would like it formatted; it's your name after all!

You can update your passport as soon as you turn 18 so you're not dealing with dodgy formatting, which will obviously be before you go to University. Even if you didn't update it, no one will care; you're not using another name, you're using your own with a slight formatting problem. If Abc Def is your first name, they absolutely will class it as a middle name - you simply must write Abcdef for the system to capture it correctly.

Hey, apologies for an late reply. But I'm still scared. Are you 1001& sure (LOL, sorry) that it will okay if I registered my name as "Abcdef". Because I'm just worried that it will cause so, so, so many problems?! Because UCAS asked me "Please enter your name as it is stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence", and ovb I am scared to register my name as "Abcdef" because UCAS has asked me to stated as the same on my Passport, eventhough I don't want to, because I know for sure that they will mistaken "Def" as my middle name? What should I do? Sorry....
Reply 22
Hey, apologies for an late reply. But I'm still scared. Are you 1001& sure (LOL, sorry) that it will okay if I registered my name as "Abcdef". Because I'm just worried that it will cause so, so, so many problems?! Because UCAS asked me "Please enter your name as it is stated on official documents, such as your passport, birth certificate or driving licence", and ovb I am scared to register my name as "Abcdef" because UCAS has asked me to stated as the same on my Passport, eventhough I don't want to, because I know for sure that they will mistaken "Def" as my middle name? What should I do? Sorry....

I can assure it it'll be absolutely fine. The worst that could possible happen is that they update it for you. I'd definitely get that statutory declaration sorted once you turn 18, but for the sake of UCAS, it's not really a problem. The only people I could ever imagine might be picky about it are Student Finance but that's nearly a year away!
Original post by IWMTom
I can assure it it'll be absolutely fine. The worst that could possible happen is that they update it for you. I'd definitely get that statutory declaration sorted once you turn 18, but for the sake of UCAS, it's not really a problem. The only people I could ever imagine might be picky about it are Student Finance but that's nearly a year away!

Hey! What do you mean the worst that can possible happen is that hey update it for you? And also? What will happen if I do not get the Statutory Declaration sorted? Would it affect anything? Including UCAS or other that can affect me getting into University? Oh! Also? What do you mean that Student Finance will be picky? What will happen? Thanks
Reply 24
Hey! What do you mean the worst that can possible happen is that hey update it for you? And also? What will happen if I do not get the Statutory Declaration sorted? Would it affect anything? Including UCAS or other that can affect me getting into University? Oh! Also? What do you mean that Student Finance will be picky? What will happen? Thanks

If for some unknown reason UCAS decide it's not correct (which I don't see how could possibly happen) they'd just change it to have a space.

If you don't sort it out, you may have issues in later life when you come across picky customer advisors. It makes sense to make life easier for yourself and just sort it - it costs you nothing!

I said Student Finance ---may--- be picky - to be perfectly honest, I doubt they would be, but they may ask you to use your name with a space instead. If you sort the statutory declaration before applying for student finance, you have no problems to worry about.
Original post by IWMTom
If for some unknown reason UCAS decide it's not correct (which I don't see how could possibly happen) they'd just change it to have a space.

If you don't sort it out, you may have issues in later life when you come across picky customer advisors. It makes sense to make life easier for yourself and just sort it - it costs you nothing!

I said Student Finance ---may--- be picky - to be perfectly honest, I doubt they would be, but they may ask you to use your name with a space instead. If you sort the statutory declaration before applying for student finance, you have no problems to worry about.

Hey! Thank you! Okay? If I register (Just for safe purpose) UCAS with my name like exactly like my Passport "Abc Def". Does UCAS have a "Edit" button to edit your name, so that you change your name to "Abcdef"? Because I just want to talk to my Teacher when I'm back in school, so that I can ask her for her own advice? About the Statutory Declaration, I'm like really scared to talk to my parents about this!? Because I know for a fact, that my brother will kick off? Thank you!
Reply 26
Hey! Thank you! Okay? If I register (Just for safe purpose) UCAS with my name like exactly like my Passport "Abc Def". Does UCAS have a "Edit" button to edit your name, so that you change your name to "Abcdef"? Because I just want to talk to my Teacher when I'm back in school, so that I can ask her for her own advice? About the Statutory Declaration, I'm like really scared to talk to my parents about this!? Because I know for a fact, that my brother will kick off? Thank you!

No, it doesn't have an edit button. You would need to submit evidence of a change of name to their customer service department.

Why would they kick off if that's your name... Hell, you could even double barrel it with a hyphen!
Original post by IWMTom
No, it doesn't have an edit button. You would need to submit evidence of a change of name to their customer service department.

Why would they kick off if that's your name... Hell, you could even double barrel it with a hyphen!

Hey, Buddy! Can you reassure me, that I will 1001% absolutely fine to register UCAS with my name spelt like "Abcdef".

By the way, just couples of Questions:

This Statutory Declaration, how does it work? Can you tell me exactly what I need to do, in order for my name to be formatted correctly. Note: I do not have much money for now, how much does it cost? Or, does it even cost you anything? Because my Passport has just be re-newed last year, and I do understand that if I get my name formatted correctly, it does mean that I will need a new Passport.

Talking about Student Finance, when exactly is the deadline to apply for Student Finance, so that I can get my dodgy name sorted.

Many thanks, I cannot thank you enough! :smile:
Reply 28
Hey, Buddy! Can you reassure me, that I will 1001% absolutely fine to register UCAS with my name spelt like "Abcdef".

By the way, just couples of Questions:

This Statutory Declaration, how does it work? Can you tell me exactly what I need to do, in order for my name to be formatted correctly. Note: I do not have much money for now, how much does it cost? Or, does it even cost you anything? Because my Passport has just be re-newed last year, and I do understand that if I get my name formatted correctly, it does mean that I will need a new Passport.

Talking about Student Finance, when exactly is the deadline to apply for Student Finance, so that I can get my dodgy name sorted.

Many thanks, I cannot thank you enough! :smile:

I see absolutely no reason why it would be an issue!

I suggest following the deed poll process as I believe it's more widely known about - it's just as simple, and the wording is available here https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

You do not need to "enroll" your deed poll, or consult a solicitor - just have two people witness it as it describes. You can do this anytime after your 16th birthday without parental consent!

It costs nothing, however, to update your passport you will need to renew it for another 10 years which is about £75 I believe.

The deadline for student finance for 17/18 has just passed quite recently, so you've got about 10 months or so assuming you're applying for 18/19 entry. No worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending