Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    Hello. I am making this to keep track of my revision for my GCSEs. I will begin posting most weekdays starting in September. I take my GCSEs in September 2018.

My subjects are:
    Maths - Edexcel
    English Language - AQA
    English Literature - AQA
    Combined Science - Edexcel
    RE - Edexcel (Maybe)
    Resistant Materials - WJEC
    Computer Science - OCR
    Child Development - AQA
    French - AQA
    Further Maths - AQA

I did Further Maths this year and I will post my result. I am hoping for an A^, but I think I might of only got an A* instead.

My end of year 10 mock results were:
    Maths - 9
    English Language - 3
    English Literature - 3
    Science - 6
    RE (we didn't have a mock in)
    Resistant Materials - C
    Computer Science - 6 (close to a 7)
    Child Development - A*
    French - 4
    Further Maths (did mock in May before my exam) - A^

I am happy with all of my results except both English results, Resistant Materials and French. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me any revision tips for these subjects.

Here are the grades I am trying to get in my GCSEs:
    Maths - 8/9
    English Literature - 7
    English Language - 7
    Science - 7/8
    RE - 7
    Resistant Materials - B/A
    Computer Science - 8
    Child Development - A*
    French - 6
    Further Maths - A* / A^

When I finish Secondary School I would like to go to my local Sixth Form and do A levels in:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Statistics

After Sixth Form I would like to study maths at university.

Thanks everyone
    Good luck! Have you started back at school yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Good luck! Have you started back at school yet?
    Yes, I started 2 1/2 weeks ago but forgot to update this! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    It's been ages since I last updated. I have been revision lots but I have kinda been feeling less motivated because I'm nervous that exams start in a few weeks. I will be updating this over the Easter holiday to keep track of my revision.

I got a sixth form offer. To get in I need:
    Maths - 8
    Combined science - 6,6
    English Literature and Language - 5, 5

I changed my subject choices a bit so I will now (hopefully) be studying:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Psychology
    and my interviewer mentioned doing STEP as an extra curricular.

Over the Easter break I will be attending some revision sessions at school on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday, and I hope to do 5 hours revision per day on the other days.

Good luck on mocks and stuff everyone

ReputationRep:
    Here were the results of my last set of mocks:

Maths - 9
    Combined Science - 8, 8
    English Language - 6
    English Literature - 5
    Child Development - A*
    Computing - 7 (so close to an 8 )
    French - 6
    Resistant Materials - C

My first exam will be on the 23rd April (I think), and that is the French speaking, one of my worst exams lol

ReputationRep:
    Here were the results of my last set of mocks:

Maths - 9
    Combined Science - 8, 8
    English Language - 6
    English Literature - 5
    Child Development - A*
    Computing - 7 (so close to an 8 )
    French - 6
    Resistant Materials - C

My first exam will be on the 23rd April (I think), and that is the French speaking, one of my worst exams lol
    I'm doing RM is well - Haven't started revision for theory: I'm going to use technology student (there's an entire section dedicated to RM)

How are you revising combined science I'm using seneca, and content seems endless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    I'm doing RM is well - Haven't started revision for theory: I'm going to use technology student (there's an entire section dedicated to RM)

How are you revising combined science I'm using seneca, and content seems endless?
    In RM, our class have learnt the theory but only just started revising it because we had to finish the practical work for our controlled assessment. Thanks for telling me about technology student, that will be useful. Which exam board are you on (my school are on WJEC)?

For science I use the CGP Edexcel combined science workbook and revision guide. Also, I used FreeScienceLessons on Youtube to help revise for my Physics paper 2 mock and it was helpful. I only briefly revise the practicals using either my revision guide or lab book; most of the time I just try to apply my knowledge from the theory work to the scenarios that are in the exam.

Good luck for revision

ReputationRep:
    In RM, our class have learnt the theory but only just started revising it because we had to finish the practical work for our controlled assessment. Thanks for telling me about technology student, that will be useful. Which exam board are you on (my school are on WJEC)?

For science I use the CGP Edexcel combined science workbook and revision guide. Also, I used FreeScienceLessons on Youtube to help revise for my Physics paper 2 mock and it was helpful. I only briefly revise the practicals using either my revision guide or lab book; most of the time I just try to apply my knowledge from the theory work to the scenarios that are in the exam.

Good luck for revision
    Hi I'm do AQA RM
    All the best for all your exams also!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Hi I'm do AQA RM
    All the best for all your exams also!
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    good luck! will be following this blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    good luck! will be following this blog
    Thanks. Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    I've made a revision timetable from now until the end of the Easter holiday. I haven't added all exams yet, but I will re make the timetable once school starts again. Tomorrow I need to practice for the French speaking and write out the model answer I made for a writing question to hand in at intervention on Thursday.
    Here's the timetable:
    Name:  revision timetable.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  61.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got any tips for being relaxed in the French Speaking exam?

I had French Intervention at school on Thursday of the Easter holiday where we did a practice role-play exam. I had a panic attack in the exam and everything went blurry and my face felt numb and I hyperventilated, I had to leave the exam early after I answered the first bullet point because I couldn't even read the next bullet points. My teacher said I got 2/15, that's the worst I've ever done on a test. Some people in the class saw it and started telling people and whispering about it and I feel really embarrassed. I'm worried in case it happens again in the real speaking exam. On my last role-play mock in December I got 11/15. I felt so nervous and tired that I didn't go to Computing intervention the next day, I reckon my teacher will be understanding but the people in class have probably told everyone about the speaking exam ffs. I feel like a terrible student for not going to Computing Intervention but I will email my teacher on Monday and ask for a copy of the work.

Sorry for the rant lol, although it was rather therapeutic. At least it cleared my mind a bit so I will be able to sleep better tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I did quite a lot of revision today though. I did 3 maths topic tests and did some practice questions in my chemistry workbook. I organised my desk and exam timetable because sometimes that makes me feel better lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm ordering some new practise papers and revision guides from CGP for Science, English Language and Computing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Has anybody got any tips for being relaxed in the French Speaking exam?

I had French Intervention at school on Thursday of the Easter holiday where we did a practice role-play exam. I had a panic attack in the exam and everything went blurry and my face felt numb and I hyperventilated, I had to leave the exam early after I answered the first bullet point because I couldn't even read the next bullet points. My teacher said I got 2/15, that's the worst I've ever done on a test. Some people in the class saw it and started telling people and whispering about it and I feel really embarrassed. I'm worried in case it happens again in the real speaking exam. On my last role-play mock in December I got 11/15. I felt so nervous and tired that I didn't go to Computing intervention the next day, I reckon my teacher will be understanding but the people in class have probably told everyone about the speaking exam ffs. I feel like a terrible student for not going to Computing Intervention but I will email my teacher on Monday and ask for a copy of the work.

Sorry for the rant lol, although it was rather therapeutic. At least it cleared my mind a bit so I will be able to sleep better tonight.
    use the prep time to make notes, and don't be too scared to pause briefly before speaking and remember that your teacher wants you to do well!
    revise common verbs to use in the photocard/roleplay! eg. on peut voir - we can see
    i got 46/60 on my last speaking mock, so not particularly amazing but just remember not to panic!

ReputationRep:
    use the prep time to make notes, and don't be too scared to pause briefly before speaking and remember that your teacher wants you to do well!
    revise common verbs to use in the photocard/roleplay! eg. on peut voir - we can see
    i got 46/60 on my last speaking mock, so not particularly amazing but just remember not to panic!
    Thanks, your speaking mark was really good btw
    I'm alright at the writing, reading and listening but hopeless at speaking lol.
    I have been memorizing some phrases I can use in the photo description, and more advanced opinion phrases. I have found some sentence starters than I can use to make my sentence longer while I think about what to say next such as:
    C'est vraiment une question difficile
    Selon moi
    C'est-a-dire
    Bien sur
    Je suppose que

Do you know if we are allowed to ask for the question to be repeated in the general conversation?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks, your speaking mark was really good btw
    I'm alright at the writing, reading and listening but hopeless at speaking lol.
    I have been memorizing some phrases I can use in the photo description, and more advanced opinion phrases. I have found some sentence starters than I can use to make my sentence longer while I think about what to say next such as:
    C'est vraiment une question difficile
    Selon moi
    C'est-a-dire
    Bien sur
    Je suppose que

Do you know if we are allowed to ask for the question to be repeated in the general conversation?

Thanks
    yes, i believe you are but double check with your teacher just to make sure

ReputationRep:
    yes, i believe you are but double check with your teacher just to make sure
    Thanks and good luck with your speaking. When is your exam?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks and good luck with your speaking. When is your exam?
    30th april what about you?

ReputationRep:
    30th april what about you?
    23rd April What's your general conversation topic? I'm doing The Environment and Social Issues, I'm terrible at that topic but at least it cannot come up on my photo card now!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.