Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need some weight-loss advice please. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am 20 years old, 5 foot 8 and weigh 167 pounds. I want to be around 150 ish pounds. I mainly want to lose body fat.

I exercise but find it difficult to eat healthy food. I do not exceed my calories but the food I eat tends to consist of meat cooked in a unhealthy way and carbs like bread,pasta and rice.

I would like some advice as to what types of food/meals I should eat. Also how much exercise should I do and what types?

Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    Heya, so you could arrange to meet up with some friends and hang out at the park or a shopping centre where you'll be walking around and also having fun. You could also join a local swimming club or gym if you have one near you and go with some mates. Aim to have about 60-90 mins a day and see how you go
    For food, start with aiming to have your 5-a-day and try to replace any sugary cravings with fruit. And why not try online recipes because they can be fun and you can experiment with new flavours and be healthy at the same time. Don't forget to have a varied diet too!
    I hope this helps you! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    You can't lose weight without a calorie deficit. So you need to know your TDEE and eat under it, what you choose to eat it up to you, so long as it is below your TDEE you will lose weight. You can increase your TDEE with exercise also. How quickly you lose weight will depend on how much below your TDEE you eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    Hello I am 20 years old, 5 foot 8 and weigh 167 pounds. I want to be around 150 ish pounds. I mainly want to lose body fat.

I exercise but find it difficult to eat healthy food. I do not exceed my calories but the food I eat tends to consist of meat cooked in a unhealthy way and carbs like bread,pasta and rice.

I would like some advice as to what types of food/meals I should eat. Also how much exercise should I do and what types?

Thanks...
    Lots of fruit and veg! I like to have my plate 25% carbs, and the rest meat and veg.

I found that drinking green tea helped a lot with my weight loss. It fills you up so much! And I think (I might be wrong though lol) it increases your metabolism alongside other health benefits. Give it a google

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shashimi)
    Lots of fruit and veg! I like to have my plate 25% carbs, and the rest meat and veg.

I found that drinking green tea helped a lot with my weight loss. It fills you up so much! And I think (I might be wrong though lol) it increases your metabolism alongside other health benefits. Give it a google
    There are some positive health benefits (not massive though) to drinking green tea, but the metabolism thing for weight loss is essentially a myth. Its effect on metabolism is so small it's negligible and makes no practical difference.

Green tea personally gives me stomach aches but then so do pretty much all teas :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Just wondering is my weight healthy?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're fine

ReputationRep:
    According to the BMI scale, you weight is ever so slightly into the overweight range (only by 3 pounds, so hardly). So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Best way to determine if your weight is health, is how do you feel? Does your body feel strong and tight? Or do you feel sluggish and like you jiggle a bit too much for your liking? It's less about the number on the scale, and more to do with your fat to muscle ratio. You don't want to have too much fat on you/ more than you need because it can be a factor in developing weight related conditions as you grow older. Though like I said, your BMI is literally on the border, you don't sound like you have much to worry about at all with regards to your health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    There are some positive health benefits (not massive though) to drinking green tea, but the metabolism thing for weight loss is essentially a myth. Its effect on metabolism is so small it's negligible and makes no practical difference.

Green tea personally gives me stomach aches but then so do pretty much all teas :lol:
    Oh really haha I thought I might have been wrong about the metabolism thing. Oops

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.