Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an IB student who wishes to study medicine, my subjects are as follows: HL: Bio, Chem, English SL: Math, Arabic, BusinessI have not taken the UKCAT as it is expensive and does not guarantee entrance to UK universities, I also have not taken the MCAT due to the fact that I have not taken Physics and will not be able to answer the questions on the exam.My budget per year for uni is <$20000. I would like to attend a uni in Europe, US, Canada that is accredited in the GCC and of high ranking.I could really use some help, does anyone have any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymoolla)
    I am an IB student who wishes to study medicine, my subjects are as follows: HL: Bio, Chem, English SL: Math, Arabic, BusinessI have not taken the UKCAT as it is expensive and does not guarantee entrance to UK universities, I also have not taken the MCAT due to the fact that I have not taken Physics and will not be able to answer the questions on the exam.My budget per year for uni is <$20000. I would like to attend a uni in Europe, US, Canada that is accredited in the GCC and of high ranking.I could really use some help, does anyone have any recommendations?

To get in a UK uni for medicine you have to take the UKCAT and/or BMAT, whithout these exams it is impossible to apply there. And no, it does not guarantee you entrance but everyone applying for medicine in the uk has to take these exams. Also, from what I know, the MCAT is taken after finishing a degree in a US college/uni having taken biology, chemistry, physics, calculus etc. classes (those are the recommended classes but you can still apply having done a different degree) with atleast a 3.0 GPA, then you apply for med school (unlike in the majority of the world where you apply directly after high school).
    As for Europe, there are universities in many countries such as Italy, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary etc. which offer Medicine in English, but each of these unis require you to do entrance exams for them which I think all cost about as much as the UKCAT and even if you get in, they are not free, you have to pay quite a lot, though I think out of these European medical schools, the cheapest might be in Italy, but I´m not entirely sure. You can check here: https://www.medschool.it/

Also, I would like to add that the English divisions in European Medical Schools (outside of UK) don´t tend to be ranked high. Apparently, they are generally less respected because it is easier to get in. I might be wrong though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.