Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Due to disfunctional family relationships, I do NOT want to spend the next summer holidays at my parent's house, but I don't have the money to travel and I would feel awkward staying at a friend's house the ENTIRE 2/3 months. Any ideas what I should do? Ideally I would be earning money because as mentioned above, I have the stereotypical student funds deficiency...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rihannastark)
    Due to disfunctional family relationships, I do NOT want to spend the next summer holidays at my parent's house, but I don't have the money to travel and I would feel awkward staying at a friend's house the ENTIRE 2/3 months. Any ideas what I should do? Ideally I would be earning money because as mentioned above, I have the stereotypical student funds deficiency...
    - internship
    - summer camps in america
    - save in advance, get accom in a cheap city somewhere in the UK. look for summer jobs in the area far enough in advance
    - work as an au pair overseas

etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you drawn out your budget yet for when you start university? i.e your student loan - rent, food, travel etc. If you get enough student loan and live in a cheap area your student loan may just about tide you over with rent in your uni town over summer? Factor in possible job money if you think it's likely you'll get one.

Barring that, a cheap way to travel/ get away from home may be something like this:

https://www.workaway.info/

living with host families in exchange for help around the house or whatever the job is, food often provided on days you are working. So only have to pay for flights/ transport to the place you choose to stay + food some days.

If I'd known about this in my earlier years of uni I definitely would have gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Have you drawn out your budget yet for when you start university? i.e your student loan - rent, food, travel etc. If you get enough student loan and live in a cheap area your student loan may just about tide you over with rent in your uni town over summer? Factor in possible job money if you think it's likely you'll get one.

Barring that, a cheap way to travel/ get away from home may be something like this:

https://www.workaway.info/

living with host families in exchange for help around the house or whatever the job is, food often provided on days you are working. So only have to pay for flights/ transport to the place you choose to stay + food some days.

If I'd known about this in my earlier years of uni I definitely would have gone.
    Not done a budget yet (another thing on my to do list ugh). But I defo do not have enough. I'm from upper-middle class family so income means my student loan is only £3000. So my parents will have to contribute anyway and I'd feel bad spending their money on not living with them. So that's a dead end unfortunately.

HOWEVER - that workaway thing looks AMAZING. There is such a wide variety of placements on offer - I could probably find something with time requirements that would let me complete an internship at the same time! Thank you so much this looks perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    - internship
    - summer camps in america
    - save in advance, get accom in a cheap city somewhere in the UK. look for summer jobs in the area far enough in advance
    - work as an au pair overseas

etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here's the dilemma
    Internship (where I get career experience but no $$) or summer job (no career experience but at least I would be able to support myself).
    The au pair thing I reckon I could find using that workaway site.
    Thank you so much for your help!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rihannastark)
    Here's the dilemma
    Internship (where I get career experience but no $$) or summer job (no career experience but at least I would be able to support myself).
    The au pair thing I reckon I could find using that workaway site.
    Thank you so much for your help!!
    - there are paid internships and it is technically illegal to do an unpaid one
    - plenty of places take on people without experience, go cv in hand if you have to
    - yah, plenty of opportunities

No probs. Just remember when there's a will there's a way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.