Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I already have a degree and I'm in first year studying midwifery but I don't enjoy it I want to study something else's but then I think I'm old I should just get a full time job again not more debt what shall I do
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Positive11)
    I already have a degree and I'm in first year studying midwifery but I don't enjoy it I want to study something else's but then I think I'm old I should just get a full time job again not more debt what shall I do
    Have you worked out why you dont enjoy it?
    Does that mean you wont enjoy it as a career?
    What would be the point in continuing?

Ask SFE but I think the gift year applies so you could apply fro a different health related degree. Check with SFE and have a think about ir.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you've just completed the first year? What would you like to do?

ReputationRep:
    Yep I have just completed the first year

ReputationRep:
    What would you like to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    What would you like to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Something in media and film but I'm not good at filming and I don't want to pay for another degree

Why don't you like midwifery anymore?

Job security?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, unless you're filthy rich then changing degree would result in not being eligible for student finance.

The only reason you got accepted for the one you're currently in is because its exempt from the 'equivilant qualification' rule.

On a serious note though, you've done a degree, you've completed a first year of a different subject, do you really know what you want to do with your life?

It sounds like a degree in any other subject would be a mistake for you too.

ReputationRep:
    Something in media and film but I'm not good at filming and I don't want to pay for another degree
    What about applying for general graduate positions? There's no point doing another degree if you not even that enthusiastic about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Midwifery is a tough gig, I had a colleague in a call centre who had quit her position and took a step down to an NHS band 3 role because of how much she disliked the work. If you've come to a realisation within the first year you don't enjoy it I'd suggest getting some guidance from an actual midwife graduate to really clarify if it's a case that it's not for you, or if you're just having doubts centred around the degree itself that once you've graduated and began the hands-on role might not be an issue.

As for another degree, unless you have a role in mind that requires a degree I don't see the utility on gaining another undergraduate degree, especially in a media subject. It's not a field renowned for its prospects.

Have you considered a masters degree?

ReputationRep:
    Yea I see what you mean I may just stick it out
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Unfortunately, unless you're filthy rich then changing degree would result in not being eligible for student finance.

The only reason you got accepted for the one you're currently in is because its exempt from the 'equivilant qualification' rule.

On a serious note though, you've done a degree, you've completed a first year of a different subject, do you really know what you want to do with your life?

It sounds like a degree in any other subject would be a mistake for you too.
    Yea you're right I may just stick at it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.