The Student Room Group

Betterware brochure distributor job

Hey guys,

I'd like to know has anyone done this job before? I'm meant to start next week and I'm still confused on how this works. I was told to collect the brochures, post them in letterboxes of those in the area then in two days time collect them. How they'd take 20% of what I make. It's a part time thing but I'm curious to other people's experiences :smile:
Yeah I did it for like a week, but it was a nightmare!:colonhash:

Customers made orders, you then have to wait for the products to arrive then you take those products to the right address, and they give you a low pay cut!

It wasn't worth it, so I inevitably quit after a week.

Too much manual labour for such little pay.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys,

I'd like to know has anyone done this job before? I'm meant to start next week and I'm still confused on how this works. I was told to collect the brochures, post them in letterboxes of those in the area then in two days time collect them. How they'd take 20% of what I make. It's a part time thing but I'm curious to other people's experiences :smile:

How do you collect them? I know when i get those brochures they're on the doormat for all of 30 seconds before they're in the bin =/

Those types of jobs really aren't worth doing imo
Reply 3
Original post by Maison Margiela
Yeah I did it for like a week, but it was a nightmare!:colonhash:

Customers made orders, you then have to wait for the products to arrive then you take those products to the right address, and they give you a low pay cut!

It wasn't worth it, so I inevitably quit after a week.

Too much manual labour for such little pay.

Oh so you don't just put the brochures into random houses? My bad. Thanks for telling me this because I thought you do. I thought for example, on a Monday you put them at any house around your area so that people could sign the sheet in them and you write the addresses you've left them at. Then Wednesday you go back to those same addresses to collect the brochures.
But thanks so much for explaining your experience. I'll definitely take this into consideration. Hope you don't mind me asking but in the time you worked how much did you make?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jackieox
How do you collect them? I know when i get those brochures they're on the doormat for all of 30 seconds before they're in the bin =/

Those types of jobs really aren't worth doing imo

Lol, the thing is it was explained not all neighbours/residents in the area will sign and accept them. But shockingly some do and they leave it out of the houses for you to collect. I guess so. Well, it's something I can do to stay fit and make some kind of cash for a weeks. I've signed up for retail too and got an interview. If that goes successfully I'll most likely leave the brochure one for the retail position. Once uni starts, it will be difficult doing the brochure job too in my opinion.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys,

You can be sure that someone's done a Bettaware (get this spelling right if you're going to do it), Kleeneze, Amway or similar round in this area, so see if you can track them down and ask about the locality.

You need to make sure you won't end up losing money here. Do you have to pay for the catalogues (I presume you do). Have you calculated the cost of the ones which will doubtless not be returned (and do you have a estimate of this from your 'employers) - when you take this off your commission from selling the goods, are you still in net profit. What about petrol/time spent walking around? Basically, have you done the figures to ensure that this will not end up costing you money?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
You can be sure that someone's done a Bettaware (get this spelling right if you're going to do it), Kleeneze, Amway or similar round in this area, so see if you can track them down and ask about the locality.

You need to make sure you won't end up losing money here. Do you have to pay for the catalogues (I presume you do). Have you calculated the cost of the ones which will doubtless not be returned (and do you have a estimate of this from your 'employers) - when you take this off your commission from selling the goods, are you still in net profit. What about petrol/time spent walking around? Basically, have you done the figures to ensure that this will not end up costing you money?

Lol but I got the spelling correct though: http://jobs.betterware.co.uk/working-for-betterware/distributor-information/ (For also anyone who is interested in applying, there's the link)

I understand. I've taken some of these things into consideration. I guess there's still things I need to think about at the same time. Thanks for your reply.
Being a distributor is a good job, I really enjoy it, but it's not for everybody. If you're an impatient person and want to earn a large sum of money quickly, don't apply for a distributor job. You're better off getting a part time job. It also depends on how much spare time you're willing to contribute to the job, since it demands a large fraction of your spare time in packaging, dropping the books off, picking the books up and delivering goods. Firstly, this job does not constitute as a part time job. There is no fixed and established weekly wage since it is commissioned based. If nobody orders, you wont earn a penny, because you will have no order to claim 20% of, despite all the work you put in. You are self employed.

I've been working at Betterware as a distributor for almost two months now, and have earned almost £80 already. The amount of money you earn is dependant on how large you territory is, i.e how many streets. I have about eight streets. Some are entirely uninterested, and when delivering to them I may aswell throw 80 brochures in the bin and go home, because I get nothing out of it and frankly, its a waste of time. However there are other streets that are akin to goldmines. I've earned almost £50 from one street alone. My advice is look for bungalows and elderly people. There is a positive correlation between those areas and Betterware sales that I've noticed. Look for streets with bungalows in your town and ask your coordinator if you can extend your territory out to them, that is if they're not already occupied by another Betterware distributor.

I wouldnt reccommend this job to fellow students. I am a student myself in college, but I have a lot of time on my hands since honestly I dont really have a social life and I get bored easily. It takes up so much of your time, and students already have so much of their time taken up by studying (I would hope!) and doing the things they enjoy.

To sum this up in pros and cons:
PROS: Lots of money can be earned as long as you have a large territory, put in a lot of your time and bear a durable patience to endure the times of frustration when you earn no commision because of lack of orders despite dedicating so much time.
With Betterware specifically, unlike Avon, Kleenleeze etc., you dont have to pay for order forms, books, plastic wallets.
You get 20% off when you yourself order from Betterware
Gives some extent of purpose to your life

CONS: I find that sometimes it can be very humiliating. You are at risk of recieving a lot of abuse.
You dont get a lot of books back
Takes up a lot of time - long hours
Commision based, so pay can sometimes be great but equally can be very little to nothing at all, causing frustration
Exhasuting having to carry the weight of books to so many streets and walking long distances being subject to that ball ache of carrying them. I strongly reccommend getting a trolley to put them all in
Packaging the books in the plastic wallets is boring. Usually it takes me an hour for every 100 books.
Posting books in bad weather conditions

MY TIPS FOR YOU:
1. Extend your territory as far as possible, especially to bungalows and elderly people
2. Get a trolley to carry the books in. They dont half come in handy
3. Never post the books through the envelope, or theyll go straight in the bin and it annoys people. Instead, leave the book outside on their porch. If theyre not inetrested, they leave it there for you to pick up 2 or so days later. If theyre interested, theyll fill in an order form and leave it out where it was
4. When people dont leave books out, dont knock on the door asking for them. Just dont. You look like a d*ck, and it really annoys people. You'll get so much abuse aswell. The book is either still in their house or has gone in bin. If its still in their house, theyll put it out later when they realise they shouldve left it out. If its gone in bin, tough luck.
5. Always calculate your commision to check the coordinator isnt trying to shaft you when they pay you. This once happened to me, and I consequently almost lost about a tenner

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest