Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Around 9 lessons in, I'm still so nervous? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am a nervous person, but I'm around 9 lessons in to driving now and I just get so nervous still. It's annoying. My nerves make me mess up. I really want to do well with it. I'd love my own car. I just can't help my nerves.

After every lesson, the back of my t-shirt is wet from where I've been sweating. Plus, when I'm driving, I forget things like indicating. Not on main roads, but say if I'm indicating right to go around a roundabout, when I'm leaving the roundabout, I'll forget to indicate left because of my nerves.

I like my driving instructor. The entire lesson, we're talking/laughing, and he has the radio on, which I thought would distract me but it doesn't. I did start driving with someone else 2 years ago but he ended up shouting at me everytime I stalled and I could just tell he didn't like me. I hate getting so nervous though. Yesterday, we were at a junction. He said "quick go before that car!". So because I panicked, I ended up stalling.

My friend started the same time as me and he's been boasting about how he's been told he's "ready for his test". I hate getting nervous. I feel like i'm not achieving anything. :'(

ReputationRep:
    For a start, demand he turns the radio off, and remain calm. If you do something wrong, then the instructor has his pedals. Otherwise, find another instructor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Moving this thread to Learning to Drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hey! I am a nervous person, but I'm around 9 lessons in to driving now and I just get so nervous still. It's annoying. My nerves make me mess up. I really want to do well with it. I'd love my own car. I just can't help my nerves.

After every lesson, the back of my t-shirt is wet from where I've been sweating. Plus, when I'm driving, I forget things like indicating. Not on main roads, but say if I'm indicating right to go around a roundabout, when I'm leaving the roundabout, I'll forget to indicate left because of my nerves.

I like my driving instructor. The entire lesson, we're talking/laughing, and he has the radio on, which I thought would distract me but it doesn't. I did start driving with someone else 2 years ago but he ended up shouting at me everytime I stalled and I could just tell he didn't like me. I hate getting so nervous though. Yesterday, we were at a junction. He said "quick go before that car!". So because I panicked, I ended up stalling.

My friend started the same time as me and he's been boasting about how he's been told he's "ready for his test". I hate getting nervous. I feel like i'm not achieving anything. :'(
    What happened to me:
    1st lesson: nervous
    5th lesson: nervous
    12th lesson: nervous
    Test: nervously passed
    4 months after that I still get nervous occasionally, it's normal

ReputationRep:
    Its normal enough still to be nervous. I remember before my driving test I had never felt nerves like it. I mean I was going to be sick nervous. Even on the road now if I'm in an unusual situation or during rush hour, I might still get nervous, and I passed with no minors. So don't worry about it. Take your time.

ReputationRep:
    The only way I became confident is through practicing away from the instructor. Don't compare yourself to other people; it's pointless and doesn't matter a hot at the end of the day. You'll get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im about 25ish hours in and I still get a little nervous before a lesson, its natural. Funnily enough, my instructor said the other day that I was one of his most confident learners, almost bordering on overconfident
    I don't know if this works for everyone but I control my nerves by remembering that I am in control of the car and the car isn't in control of me. Its not gonna do anything unless I tell it to do something. And just like it was said above, worst case scenario, the instructor also has a set of pedals and can take over if they need to

If I were you though, Id ask them if they can turn off the radio and spend a good amount of time just practicing driving round in a really quiet area. Once you know you have full control of the car, then working on situations and reacting to them becomes a lot easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.