Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I be refused a course place based on mental health issues? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've recently gotten a place on a doctorate in clinical psychology whereby upon graduating, I'll become a clinical psychologist.
    At university during undergrad, due to my living situation, i've been on various antidepressants due to stress/low mood. However this never affected my work and I graduated with a first and lots of experience.

My issues surrounding mental health are pretty much resolved currently. I feel very competent for the course and job. I have been off antidepressants for around a month.

Do you reckon this will affect my offer of a place?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyes_2012)
    Hi

I've recently gotten a place on a doctorate in clinical psychology whereby upon graduating, I'll become a clinical psychologist.
    At university during undergrad, due to my living situation, i've been on various antidepressants due to stress/low mood. However this never affected my work and I graduated with a first and lots of experience.

My issues surrounding mental health are pretty much resolved currently. I feel very competent for the course and job. I have been off antidepressants for around a month.

It depends if the course has fitness to practise requirements - which it might do, because it's a clinical role. If so, you'll have to have an occupational assessment where they may decide that you're unsuitable for the course. They can't let you take the course if they feel it will be a risk to your mental health; the course will be very demanding and very stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I've been through this process myself this year. I've had anxiety/depression for the past 10 years and recently sought help through CBT/medication. I was worried this would impact my chances of being accepted onto the course. I'm doing a nursing degree too which is really intense. I had to fill in an occupational health form for the course and then attended and occupational health assessment to determine whether they thought I'd be able to last 3 years on this course. I was told then and there that it wouldn't be a problem and they could let the uni know I would need extra support. It was really positive and I didn't feel like they were trying to catch me out to stop me going on the court - they genuinely wanted to know what I would need to make it through the 3 years.

I would say it's worth getting in touch with your universities student support so they're aware of your needs if you have a relapse.

I hope this helps!!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squitchley)
    Hi there!

I've been through this process myself this year. I've had anxiety/depression for the past 10 years and recently sought help through CBT/medication. I was worried this would impact my chances of being accepted onto the course. I'm doing a nursing degree too which is really intense. I had to fill in an occupational health form for the course and then attended and occupational health assessment to determine whether they thought I'd be able to last 3 years on this course. I was told then and there that it wouldn't be a problem and they could let the uni know I would need extra support. It was really positive and I didn't feel like they were trying to catch me out to stop me going on the court - they genuinely wanted to know what I would need to make it through the 3 years.

I would say it's worth getting in touch with your universities student support so they're aware of your needs if you have a relapse.

I hope this helps!!

Good luck!
    Hey! So sorry for the late reply...

Really sorry to hear about the difficulties you've experienced - I'm glad you sought help! Yeah, I can imagine that a nursing degree would be extremely stressful, so it's great they were so accommodating.

Thanks so much for your reply - it has really reassured me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyes_2012)
    Hi

(Original post by Juno)
    It depends if the course has fitness to practise requirements - which it might do, because it's a clinical role. If so, you'll have to have an occupational assessment where they may decide that you're unsuitable for the course. They can't let you take the course if they feel it will be a risk to your mental health; the course will be very demanding and very stressful.
    I think it's extremely unlikely that they would ever come to a conclusion that the OP was 'unsuitable for the course' - it's only low mood (that's not to minimise it, but we're not talking full-on schizophrenia here) and the OP is confident that it's resolved. I'd say the very most OH would want to do is to maybe support you by keeping in touch to check everything's still ok.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.