Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to make my college application attractive in applying for a university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a student studying in an international school in a European country.
    I finished my IGCSE exams this June and am waiting for results. I have majoring in médicine in prestigeous university as a goal.
    I am aware of the enormous importance of my A level result that I will get after 2 years in applying for universities. But I am still concerned about my ignorance about other extra factors that is supposed to be requisite or helpful e.g. some qualifications, demostrated experience, extra-curriculum activities, Awards

I would appreciate so much if somebody introduce & explain about these factors to let me prepare for them in advance...

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm not a medic, but from what I've seen on friends who have applied for and received offers for medicine in UK universities, most universities want experience. This refers to having done volunteer work or work experience (for example) in a medicine-related field, especially if there is a particular area you are passionate about. For example, I have a friend who volunteered in a care home, and another who did 2 weeks work experience in a hospital.

There are also tests, like the UKCAT and the BMAT, the scores from which will determine, in the cases of some unis, whether they will even consider your application or not. I don't know if there are other tests outside of the UK or whether you'd sit these ones too.

Also, unlike a lot of other subjects, medicine tends to almost always require interviews with them after application, because they want to test more than just your academic ability, such as your suitability for a career in medicine (Eg. Are you empathetic to patients' needs).

Again, though, I am not a medic. I'm sure there will be other TSR users who can provide a better answer that I have, but I'd suggest you do some research into what you'd need to do, because it is a demanding and complicated process, and it may differ between institutions and between Home/EU/International students.

Hope this helps 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.