Already have a MacBook Pro but is the iPad Pro a good investment? Watch

Conorr98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently own a 2015 MacBook Pro and an iPad mini 2 which is I will admit starting to deteriorate as I have had it 3 years so it is begging to become slow and it's even slower now I have iOS 10.

I am considering upgrading to a new iPad, I was thinking about the iPad Pro, purely because I could take it to lectures and use the keyboard to write up notes quickly rather than lugging round a heavy laptop and the fact that I could use iCloud to just sync it over and then do the main work on the MacBook sounds a good idea but I'm not sure

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conorr98)
I currently own a 2015 MacBook Pro and an iPad mini 2 which is I will admit starting to deteriorate as I have had it 3 years so it is begging to become slow and it's even slower now I have iOS 10.

I am considering upgrading to a new iPad, I was thinking about the iPad Pro, purely because I could take it to lectures and use the keyboard to write up notes quickly rather than lugging round a heavy laptop and the fact that I could use iCloud to just sync it over and then do the main work on the MacBook sounds a good idea but I'm not sure

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Your MacBook Pro weighs 2kg at most, 1.6kg if you have the 13" model- it is not a heavy laptop. If you're going to be carrying it under your arm then yeah, maybe it would be a bit more convenient, but if it's going in a bag then you're going to be paying a lot of money for the sake of shaving a kilo off the weight you're carrying, while also having a less capable machine with a worse keyboard.

If you're actually serious about using something for typing up notes in lectures, the MBP you already own is infinitely better. Don't buy anything yet and see how you get on at uni, if you constantly find yourself withing for the iPad Pro in your day to day life then by all means get one. But don't buy one now assuming it's going to do a better job, because odds are it won't.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
iPad Pro compared to a Macbook Pro is like comparing a Nissan Qashqai to a Ferrari

tl;dr iPad Pro trash

no

Macbook is gonna last likely many many times longer, iPads will always be released (so do Macbooks, but they have a much longer individual shelf life). As evidence of this, I'm typing this from a 2009 Macbook Pro that I'm still using 8 years on, additionally more advanced software is afforded on a Macbook, new Macbooks aren't that heavy and allow you to do everything you want, it's multi-functional but on a more powerful scale than an iPad Pro.

But if you want to lug around an abnormally huge tablet with a stylus that's ok too
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The iPad Pro is an absolute joke. Your current MacBook Pro sounds fine for what you are currently doing. However, if you really want a new tablet, then get the Surface Pro 4/5. Miles better than the iPad Pro.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
66.33%
No I haven't decided yet (20)
20.41%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads